What's new

Ethernet slower than WiFi on AX88-u. What did i do wrong?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

daedex

Occasional Visitor
As the title suggests, i am getting 2mbps on ethernet, and 1 gig on wifi (i have 1gig connection).

I have done everything I can think of. Changed cables, ports, installed drivers, nvram erase, nuked everything, M&M config, amtm, entware, the works.

Whats weird is everything works amazingly as it should EXCEPT wired. What have i missed? Is this a setting?

Slower to where? To Internet or to local devices? Try to isolate the problem by checking the speed to:
1. The router itself
2. Any other wired device in your LAN
3. Any external site

After a full M&M Config but before you do any further customizations, do the LAN ports work correctly? Have you tried them all, or is it just a single port (or port pair) that is misbehaving?

So after a stupidly-long day, the TL;DR is it the computers drivers weren't correct on the desktop. Looks like since i pulled the drivers from the manufacture website, either they were old, or corrupt. Having windows install them through their generic intel drivers resolved the issue.

Make sure to have multiple devices to test on whatever median you are testing would be the advice I give to people.

Slower to where? To Internet or to local devices? Try to isolate the problem by checking the speed to:
1. The router itself
2. Any other wired device in your LAN
3. Any external site

All tests were done through speedtest.net

How do you get Gigabit speed on WiFi is the more interesting question.

I’d like to know as well.

Sorry guys, Freudian slip. I am not getting 1 gig, but i meant it in the sense that wifi is getting the appropriate speed. I did however hit 750 when testing on the laptop with wifi. I was using 802.11ax though. but that was standing next to the router.

Now I cant get yazfi to route to the appropriate subnet when connecting to guest wifi. :mad:

back to the drawing board.

After a full M&M Config but before you do any further customizations, do the LAN ports work correctly? Have you tried them all, or is it just a single port (or port pair) that is misbehaving?

can i just say that you are everywhere on the forum and i have referenced more than a dozen of your posts. I truly appreciate the work you do in helping the community. If you were local, i'd buy you a beer or something. cheers.

@daedex, glad you appreciate my efforts. I do read all the posts here and try to help where I think I can. :)

With YazFi, are you waiting an appropriate amount of time to allow it to configure itself and 'turn on' fully?

@daedex, glad you appreciate my efforts. I do read all the posts here and try to help where I think I can. :)

With YazFi, are you waiting an appropriate amount of time to allow it to configure itself and 'turn on' fully?

hmm, i try to give it a minute or two, but I am uncertain how long i should be taking. Judging by the fact that its making me pause and think, i assume i should give it more time.

If simply being more patient doesn't help, try doing a forced update of YazFi and, if necessary, a reboot of the router too (don't forget to wait for a little after the reboot!).

All tests were done through speedtest.net

Happy that you solved your problems.

But regarding testing the quote above means you tested speed only to external internet sites. My advice is to install Entware on your router and then install iperf or iperf3. Then download a proper iperf/iperf3 executable for one or more of your wired devices. This will give you a possibility to test speed between LAN devices and router and between two LAN devices.

If simply being more patient doesn't help, try doing a forced update of YazFi and, if necessary, a reboot of the router too (don't forget to wait for a little after the reboot!).
it ended up being an issue where
Code:
nvram get wl0.1_ap_isolate
wasnt sticking to 1 and it kept restarting the firewall in a continuous loop. I ended up having to do an nvram erase by holding the reset button while the router was on (moving forward ill call it the hard reset). For whatever reason wps + power on didnt fully do the nvram reset. Also, oddly enough
Code:
nvram erase
command didnt do squat either.

so:
wps button + power 30 seconds > after reboot, hard reset 30 seconds > format jffs partition > reboot x2 > hard reset > restore/initialize > setup/yazfi/etc and it finally worked.

Between each reset/reboot/ or any setting i changed, i waited a good 5-10 mins.

now it works great.

I am going to be working with my other ax88u node to test and see if the wps + power approach actually works to reset the nvram, because previously it didnt. Though, that could have been due to user error at that point because I was tired.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!