What's new

Ethernet vs WIFI : funny IP addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mathieu

Regular Contributor
Hello everybody
1. I have noticed that certain devices on my home network, when plugged into a LAN port (either directly in the router or in a TP link switch) are getting an IP address outside of the boundaries of the DHCP pool: eg 10.x.x.x vs 192.z.z.z.
What could be causing it?

2. The above devices, when connected via WiFi, are behaving as expected. I also notice that for some of these, when plugged by cable, both the wifi and ethernet interfaces are showing in the network map, with the same IP address but a distinct MAC. Only one MAC was used for the DHCP reservation...
Is there a way to tell the router to ignore one when the other is active, as I suspect a duplicated IP address would do no good to my setup?

Thanks for your help, and happy epiphany (as applicable).

What could be causing it?

You have another device on your LAN that runs a DHCP server. You will have to track it and shut it down.

You have another device on your LAN that runs a DHCP server. You will have to track it and shut it down.
Thank you for the lead.
Will go hunting for the rogue server now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!