1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Ethernet vs WIFI : funny IP addresses

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by Mathieu, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Mathieu

Mathieu Occasional Visitor

Hello everybody
    1. I have noticed that certain devices on my home network, when plugged into a LAN port (either directly in the router or in a TP link switch) are getting an IP address outside of the boundaries of the DHCP pool: eg 10.x.x.x vs 192.z.z.z.
    What could be causing it?

2. The above devices, when connected via WiFi, are behaving as expected. I also notice that for some of these, when plugged by cable, both the wifi and ethernet interfaces are showing in the network map, with the same IP address but a distinct MAC. Only one MAC was used for the DHCP reservation...
    Is there a way to tell the router to ignore one when the other is active, as I suspect a duplicated IP address would do no good to my setup?

Thanks for your help, and happy epiphany (as applicable).

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

You have another device on your LAN that runs a DHCP server. You will have to track it and shut it down.

Mathieu likes this.
  4. Mathieu

Mathieu Occasional Visitor

Thank you for the lead.
    Will go hunting for the rogue server now.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!