1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

exceeding 100m from switch with POE

Discussion in 'Switches, NICs and cabling' started by trauts14, Jun 24, 2018.

1. trauts14

trauts14 Occasional Visitor

i know 802.3af standard is limited to 100m. i would like to install an access point 800' away from my switch. POE extenders are an option, but does any company make a proprietary POE that can do 800'? something like the technology Dahua is using for the ePOE line of cams, but for access points?

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. spenceclair

spenceclair New Around Here

Seemingly, ONLY the Ethernet extender for POE and POE Plus equipment can overcome the distance limitations.

4. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Very Senior Member

I think the 800' distance is going to be a problem. www.poetexas has a new beta product Pt-Poe Extender for $21 but is only rated to extend the distance to 500'.

5. trauts14

trauts14 Occasional Visitor

Thank you. I did not know they had that beta product.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!