What's new

Excessive latency on all connections with high spikes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Narukari

New Around Here
I just picked up one of these routers about a week ago, I noticed that on all games I played there was a large amount of "jitter" when moving around.

I started pinging the router and seeing average ping latencies of 10ms, with spikes every 5-10seconds up to 100ms.

Thinking this might be a wireless problem, I tried connecting a computer straight into the router, I still got latencies of 2-5ms consistently, with spikes up to 10ms.

I've done a 30/30/30 and even at absolute default settings the latency problem is still there. I've also tried the newest stock firmware, and Merlin's modified firmware.

I don't know if anybody else has had this problem, and sadly I noticed this on a Friday evening so I can't get in contact with Asus until Monday.

Alright, I just installed DD-WRT onto the router and it seems to have solved the latency problem, so I don't think that it is hardware related. I'll play around a bit more with settings, but I really hope that I can use the ASUS based firmware, I loved everything that it offered.

The 2-10ms latency issue over Ethernet is a know issue with firmware 3.0.0.4.354. Asus are aware of the issue. The issue can be resolved by switching to the latest non-beta firmware (3.0.0.4.270).

Oh wow, thank you for the reply.

I'll be sure to switch to that firmware for now. I love dd-wrt, but I really enjoy the ease of access to advanced features that the Asus firmware gives.

I was using the latest non-BETA firmware and had the exact same issue on two different routers. My roommates are complaining that DOTA is unplayable because of stutter.

I was using the latest non-BETA firmware and had the exact same issue on two different routers. My roommates are complaining that DOTA is unplayable because of stutter.

Yeah, that stutter was unbearable in LoL as well.

I switched to the earlier version of Asuswrt, but the connections would degrade too fast and would need the router to be restarted once or twice a day.

I'm now on DD-WRT until I see a more stable version of Asuswrt. Here's a link to the April 15th release for the ac66u router:

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSl...r21286/asus-rt-ac66u/dd-wrt-Asus_RT-AC66U.trx

(I've also heard from another post that the stutter/latency issues could be a result of the installed download manager.)

Update: Asus sent me a beta firmware tonight that does resolve the 2-10ms latency issues on Ethernet. Ping times over Ethernet are back below 1ms now.

The wireless ping latency seems to be improved as well, my ping being close to 1 ms now (a few occasional spikes, which are probably normal over Wireless):

Code:
Pinging 192.168.10.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.10.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.10.1:
    Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

Update: Asus sent me a beta firmware tonight that does resolve the 2-10ms latency issues on Ethernet. Ping times over Ethernet are back below 1ms now.
[/code]

New wireless drivers?

New wireless drivers?

The ping latency issue I was referring to was over Ethernet, not wireless. I get the same steady 1ms latency with 354.29 BTW, with my Centrino 6230 card (so there was no change for good or worse for me on the wifi front).

The wireless driver was compiled in the past few days, but same version, so no telling if it's just a recompile or if anything was changed. My contact only told me about the Ethernet latency issue that had been fixed.

For anyone who wants to try it out, here is the test firmware Asus sent me that resolved the random ping latencies. I reuploaded it to Mediafire since the download link Asus provided me will expire in about a week.

So here it is (with their permission, of course):

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/81k6gwkfpb6jw/Asus

Remember that this is a TEST release, so it might have other issues.

I put that beta on; The pings look great no more spikes;

I noticed that the parental controls looks better
QOS works
Wireless is lots better
everything else seems great

Chris

Last edited:
I can't tell if beemforming is enabled or not but wireless works great

Chris

Hmm. I wasn't having latency issues that I know of--but my 2.4 channel did stop responding all together after a day of uptime. I had to reboot the router.

Needless to say I'm not impressed yet. I had half settled on the Netgear 6300 or 6250 but kept coming back to the awesome reviews of this router.

I went ahead and upgraded to this beta upgrade. All I want is for this thing to be stable and cover my house. So far it's covered my house--wouldn't call it stable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!