What's new

exFAT USB SMB permissions problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dj045

Occasional Visitor
I have a small GL.iNET router that has a USB stick connected and is shared via SMB on my network.

The USB is formatted as exFAT so that I have read/write compatibility with Windows and Mac should I need to plug the stick into either machine - this works fine no issues.

The problem I have is that I am not able to write to the USB when it is plugged into the router over the network. If I try I get a 'You require permission from S-1-22-1-0 to make changes to this file.' I can read files that are saved to it already ok though

I have obviously googled a fair bit and I'm growing to believe I need to be looking at SMB permissions.

My smb.conf file looks like this

[global]
netbios name = |NAME|
display charset = |CHARSET|
interfaces = |INTERFACES|
server string = |DESCRIPTION|
unix charset = |CHARSET|
workgroup = |WORKGROUP|
browseable = yes
deadtime = 30
domain master = yes
encrypt passwords = true
enable core files = no
guest account = nobody
guest ok = yes
invalid users = root
local master = yes
load printers = no
map to guest = Bad User
max protocol = SMB2
min receivefile size = 16384
null passwords = yes
obey pam restrictions = yes
os level = 20
passdb backend = smbpasswd
preferred master = yes
printable = no
security = share
smb encrypt = disabled
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
syslog = 2
use sendfile = yes
writeable = yes

Wondering if someone with SMB configuration experience can point me in a direction that will help me solve this...

Thanks in advance

I have no experience of the GL.iNET but i'd hazard a guess that there's a conflict between the "invalid users = root" statement and the owner of the files, S-1-22-1-0 (which is the SID for root).

I have no experience of the GL.iNET but i'd hazard a guess that there's a conflict between the "invalid users = root" statement and the owner of the files, S-1-22-1-0 (which is the SID for root).

Can you elaborate how one might go about resolving this potential conflict, is there something I can check/remove/add to the SMB config?

Sorry, no idea. I don't know anything about the GL.iNET or how to configure it. TBH it might not have anything to do with what I said.