What's new

Existing Asus RT-AC86U owner - considering the RT-AX82U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Big_AL

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

Really enjoyed good solid performance of my RT-AC86U router and has served us well over the last few years. Lately though, been waking up in the morning with no WiFi signal at all, needing to do a hard reboot. I have it set up already to reboot itself every day at 1am. Firmware is up to date. ISP supplier is solid - 500mbs via fibre into the house. Lately as well, kids complaining of laggy streaming - up to about 8 devices streaming netflix and other devices on FB, YT....etc. It has always coped in the past. Main TV in lounge has hardwire cat 6 to the router directly and sometimes it struggles at peak times in the evening.

2.4ghz just about gets to a room up stairs (Old Victorian house) and my son's loft but a bit week but usable - barely. Main router is positioned as centrally as possible in the house.

Looking at the RT-AX82U as a possible replacement. The marketing guff says that it's got '80% greater range' but compared to what??! Just wondering if I will see more stable performance and not too much lagging and if there's a slight bit more radio power. Have considered mesh but would like to avoid any 'back haul' cabling ....if I understand that correctly, that it's even needed. Some people say that when they got this router, that they didn't end up needing the extra mesh units. Your advice would be very gratefully received!

TIA

Hi everyone,

Really enjoyed good solid performance of my RT-AC86U router and has served us well over the last few years. Lately though, been waking up in the morning with no WiFi signal at all, needing to do a hard reboot. I have it set up already to reboot itself every day at 1am. Firmware is up to date. ISP supplier is solid - 500mbs via fibre into the house. Lately as well, kids complaining of laggy streaming - up to about 8 devices streaming netflix and other devices on FB, YT....etc. It has always coped in the past. Main TV in lounge has hardwire cat 6 to the router directly and sometimes it struggles at peak times in the evening.

2.4ghz just about gets to a room up stairs (Old Victorian house) and my son's loft but a bit week but usable - barely. Main router is positioned as centrally as possible in the house.

Looking at the RT-AX82U as a possible replacement. The marketing guff says that it's got '80% greater range' but compared to what??! Just wondering if I will see more stable performance and not too much lagging and if there's a slight bit more radio power. Have considered mesh but would like to avoid any 'back haul' cabling ....if I understand that correctly, that it's even needed. Some people say that when they got this router, that they didn't end up needing the extra mesh units. Your advice would be very gratefully received!

TIA

The AC86U has a history of hardware failure... some radio, some a voltage regulation circuit... often preceded by odd behaviors that cannot be resolved by recommissioning the network (install latest firmware, hard reset that firmware to its defaults, and configure from scratch).

You can try reinstalling/configuring the AC86U firmware, especially if you haven't done so in a while...

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

o Remove nodes from AiMesh to Reset, wait
o Restore+Initialize root node to Hard Reset, wait
o Configure root node from scratch; do not Restore from .cfg file

(for your standalone router, ignore the AiMesh references)

If still no joy, you may need to replace the router.

Routers often suggested around here to get you thinking:
AX86U/S
AX86U Pro (coming soon... might be worth it for newer WiFi chip, RangeBoost+, but nobody knows yet)
GT-AX6000

OE

Looking at the RT-AX82U as a possible replacement.

This AX82U router is a downgrade to AC86U - weaker hardware similar to AX58U. This RGB model with alien look is just the "gaming" version of it with some SoC features unlocked. Your direct replacement model is AX86S - the same hardware as AC86U with AX radio and better reliability.

a slight bit more radio power

It's hard to beat AC86U performance behind walls and at a distance. It's an excellent router when it works. Don't expect too much upgrade in range from newer routers. There is a chance they will be slightly weaker on the same channels. You have to play again with channels and find the new best ones.

The AC86U has a history of hardware failure... some radio, some a voltage regulation circuit... often preceded by odd behaviors that cannot be resolved by recommissioning the network (install latest firmware, hard reset that firmware to its defaults, and configure from scratch).

You can try reinstalling/configuring the AC86U firmware, especially if you haven't done so in a while...

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

o Remove nodes from AiMesh to Reset, wait
o Restore+Initialize root node to Hard Reset, wait
o Configure root node from scratch; do not Restore from .cfg file

(for your standalone router, ignore the AiMesh references)

If still no joy, you may need to replace the router.

Routers often suggested around here to get you thinking:
AX86U/S
AX86U Pro (coming soon... might be worth it for newer WiFi chip, RangeBoost+, but nobody knows yet)
GT-AX6000

OE
Thanks very much

This AX82U router is a downgrade to AC86U - weaker hardware similar to AX58U. This RGB model with alien look is just the "gaming" version of it with some SoC features unlocked. Your direct replacement model is AX86S - the same hardware as AC86U with AX radio and better reliability.

It's hard to beat AC86U performance behind walls and at a distance. It's an excellent router when it works. Don't expect too much upgrade in range from newer routers. There is a chance they will be slightly weaker on the same channels. You have to play again with channels and find the new best ones.

Hello again, Tech9. I bought the 86U about 1 1/2 yrs ago, and have had none of the issues mentioned here (hardware failure or otherwise). In fact, I've been very happy with it. Performance and range have been excellent. Perhaps the luck of the draw?
At any rate, I've been looking at buying another to replace one of my other routers after testing throughput and finding it (TP-Link) is lagging behind my 86U and an AX58U by about 20MBPS. Considered another 58U and even an AX86s, but the CPU and RAM specs fall beneath the 86U (non pro).

The 58U is getting pretty good thruput (near the 100 MBPS I'm paying for). Is the 86U still worth getting despite mentioned hardware failure risks, or is the 86S or another 58U a safer bet? The 86S is about $100 cheaper but only a dual-core cpu/512MB ram vs the 86U quad-core/1GB Ram.

Hello again, Tech9. I bought the 86U about 1 1/2 yrs ago, and have had none of the issues mentioned here (hardware failure or otherwise). In fact, I've been very happy with it. Performance and range have been excellent. Perhaps the luck of the draw?
At any rate, I've been looking at buying another to replace one of my other routers after testing throughput and finding it (TP-Link) is lagging behind my 86U and an AX58U by about 20MBPS. Considered another 58U and even an AX86s, but the CPU and RAM specs fall beneath the 86U (non pro).

The 58U is getting pretty good thruput (near the 100 MBPS I'm paying for). Is the 86U still worth getting despite mentioned hardware failure risks, or is the 86S or another 58U a safer bet? The 86S is about $100 cheaper but only a dual-core cpu/512MB ram vs the 86U quad-core/1GB Ram.

You need to clarify which 86U you are talking about. This thread is about the AC86U. Also, there is no AX86S.

OE

You need to clarify which 86U you are talking about. This thread is about the AC86U. Also, there is no AX86S.

OE

Sure enough. My apologies and my mistake. My post regarded the AX86U. Regarding the AX86S, it seems to be coupled with the RT-AX86U (RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) here, and shows specs for the respective models:

Am I mistaken?

Regarding the AX86S, it seems to be coupled with the RT-AX86U (RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) here, and shows specs for the respective models:

Am I mistaken?

You are not mistaken. The AX86S is a slightly lesser variation of the AX86U... they use the same radios/probably have the same WiFi, and use the same firmware package.

The soon to arrive AX86U Pro will not be so similar.

OE

No hardware issues reported for AX86U so far. Little brother AX86S is just cheaper version of it - dual-core CPU, 1/2 RAM, no 2.5GbE port and the same radios. No hardware issues reported either - the same improved thermal/components design. Makes a good matching node to AX86U main router. AC86U is the one with common issues, both in hardware and software - the first Asus HND model from 2017. AX86U Pro is similar to GT-AX6000 hardware and runs different firmware.

@OzarkEdge will let us know when AX86U Pro GTX is coming. :)

I don't think there's any hardware risk buying a "newer" AC86U contrary to all the negative press.

The original line was manufactured in China. Production moved to Vietnam for US markets (Same as AX86U). GT-AC2900 (firmware/feature upgraded AC86U) is made in Taiwan for US market. (These go as low as $91 USD on Amazon via camelcamelcamel price tracker) Best performance for me is always control 161 on GT-AC2900.

I just tested a GT-AX6000 here (will return to amazon today) and while its better, I would not say its a $300 investment/upgrade over my older 2yr old GT-AC2900 I have next to it. I average 50mbps higher at same locations/channels throughout the day (same AX200 client) when dealing with local interference. (this was tested on all major blocks, modulation frequency etc.) DFS 52-64 is the only real performance "upgrade" since I can match performance of a main unii1-3 block without being subject to tons of interference. DFS 100-128 block is off limits to me.. can't comment.

Aside from range, only real reason to upgrade is CPU power. 4906 is only a dual core A53. 4908 and newer 4912 can handle a lot more for scripts,vpn etc. CPU itself (newer 4912) on GT-AX6000 is more snappy in GUI over older GT-AC2900.

Wired backhaul with 2x AC86s will provide you much better coverage. Just have to tune connection sensitivity for specific clients.

Edit:
I think the only single point that does better than a 4x4 AX broadcom radio is the AX89X being 8x8 @80mhz. Doesn't support merlin being QUALCOMM and price remains quite high, even on sale. I'll eventually test one if I can purchase in the $300 segment.

In terms of line of sight, GT-AX6000 is the best router I've used in terms of PHY rates at distance.. but I live in the real world and have a house filled with walls ;) GT-AC2900 seems to hold its own in this type of testing. (subjective to me, WIFI isnt static).

Edit2 : I'm not saying the GT-AX6000 is bad, but the AC86U/GT-AC2900 are too good for what they are at current price points. I would keep GT-AX6000 if it was closer to $200 segment. $300-400 is kinda silly in retrospect... Even the AX86U is silly at full MSRP.

Last edited:
I have the AX86 & AX82 in a AIMesh setup. Been working great.
First I just got the 86 to replace my old RT-AC87R. The AX86 did not have the range my AC87 had. And the 2.4/5GHz Auto dual band gave me areas in the house that wouldn't work. Got the AX82 and setup AIMesh first wireless now wired together and it's been great.