What's new

Expectations of AIMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TFI-YT

New Around Here
Hey guys - just hoping for a reality check here more than anything else. I have an AX88U as my main router, internet speeds are 650/50, I can confirm this over WiFi6 on a mobile device too.
I also have a AC68U around 12' away acting as a mesh node, connection quality is "great" the uplink type is Wireless 5GHz.
If I stand next to the AC68U whilst still connected to the AX88U, I get 200/40 internet.
If I connect to the AC68U node whilst stood in the same position, I get 30/40 internet, and that deteriorates the further away I move from the node. It's like the AIMesh node is unable to pass through my internet connection properly, even though the actual WiFi signal is extremely strong from the mesh node.
I must admit, I haven't changed any professional settings on the router after enabling AIMesh as I (arguably quite rightly) expected the software to optimise the experience to suit, I still have smart connect enabled etc
I'm on stock firmware 386.41 on both nodes, I did used to be on Merlin but I was having chronic router disconnection issues which seem to have stopped after reverting back to stock.
I'm planning on following the guide here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/recommended-wireless-pro-settings-for-aimesh.57882/ but just wondered what the expectations should be through a mesh node, I surely should be getting more than 12/40 whilst in my living room in a pretty small semi detached house in the UK! It's more that the download is always lower than the upload, there's something to that I think.
Thanks in advance!

Hey guys - just hoping for a reality check here more than anything else. I have an AX88U as my main router, internet speeds are 650/50, I can confirm this over WiFi6 on a mobile device too.
I also have a AC68U around 12' away acting as a mesh node, connection quality is "great" the uplink type is Wireless 5GHz.
If I stand next to the AC68U whilst still connected to the AX88U, I get 200/40 internet.
If I connect to the AC68U node whilst stood in the same position, I get 30/40 internet, and that deteriorates the further away I move from the node. It's like the AIMesh node is unable to pass through my internet connection properly, even though the actual WiFi signal is extremely strong from the mesh node.
I must admit, I haven't changed any professional settings on the router after enabling AIMesh as I (arguably quite rightly) expected the software to optimise the experience to suit, I still have smart connect enabled etc
I'm on stock firmware 386.41 on both nodes, I did used to be on Merlin but I was having chronic router disconnection issues which seem to have stopped after reverting back to stock.
I'm planning on following the guide here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/recommended-wireless-pro-settings-for-aimesh.57882/ but just wondered what the expectations should be through a mesh node, I surely should be getting more than 12/40 whilst in my living room in a pretty small semi detached house in the UK! It's more that the download is always lower than the upload, there's something to that I think.
Thanks in advance!

Why do you need a remote node 12' away from the root node? Too much Wifi.

Deploy the AC68U 40' or more away and speedtest.net again with a wired PC... after you setup the network. My install notes may help with a basic setup.

OE

Why do you need a remote node 12' away from the root node? Too much Wifi.
Because my AX88U which is my primary router, which receives the incoming main internet feed from Virgin, is located upstairs in my office which is an extension built over a garage, which is essentially what used to be open air outside of the house. So between the AX88U and the rest of the house is 13" of thick brickwork and breezeblock and then multiple partition walls. So I put the AC68U at the bottom of the stairs as close to the AX88U as possible to project the WiFi throughout the house because I was having issues. I can't position the AC68U any further away as it'll then be where all the client devices are which would defeat the purpose of using it to boost the signal from the AX88U if that makes sense.

Because my AX88U which is my primary router, which receives the incoming main internet feed from Virgin, is located upstairs in my office which is an extension built over a garage, which is essentially what used to be open air outside of the house. So between the AX88U and the rest of the house is 13" of thick brickwork and breezeblock and then multiple partition walls. So I put the AC68U at the bottom of the stairs as close to the AX88U as possible to project the WiFi throughout the house because I was having issues. I can't position the AC68U any further away as it'll then be where all the client devices are which would defeat the purpose of using it to boost the signal from the AX88U if that makes sense.

What are the RSSI and Tx,Rx values for the 5.0 backhaul listed in the Wireless Log? Find the MAC entry related to the router.

Have you speedtested with a PC wired to the remote node?

OE

I can't position the AC68U any further away as it'll then be where all the client devices are which would defeat the purpose of using it to boost the signal from the AX88U
if that makes sense.
Not quite. At least , not to me.
I agree with OzarkEdge, "To Much WiFi" sounds about right.

Wouldn't you WANT it to be where the devces are making better use of it's extended range , larger antennas and better signal strength in your weaker areas ?
Your speeds may be dropping because the AC68U is trying to hand your device back off to the AX88U and it doesn't want to go.
If your device can get full speed from the main node where the mesh node is located then your mesh node is to close to the main router.

I'd get them further apart so they had fewer and smaller over lapping coverage areas.
OzarkEdge won't steer you wrong and , if you'll follow it , he has good advice.