What's new

[Experimental] WireGuard for HND platform (4.1.x kernels)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I use Wireguard with the Mullvad client, but they have a setup for Asus-Merlin routers, but the AC86U is not supported, I tried anyway but couldn't get it to work with config recommendations. Anybody can get that working let me know, I'd prefer to offload that task to the router.

I use Wireguard with the Mullvad client, but they have a setup for Asus-Merlin routers, but the AC86U is not supported,

That FAQ is about OpenVPN, not Wireguard. And it's simply outdated - they copied the list of models that I supported 4 years ago...

@Odkrys

Is there any detailed description how to get policy-based routing to work in combination with WireGuard? Selecting devices that use WireGuard client while others use the internet without WireGuard. It would really be great to get this working.
Main reason for this is to let for example the TV access the internet without the usage of VPN, as Netflix Sweden basically stopped working with any VPN provider that supports WireGuard today. All other devices can use the WireGuard connection.

Thanks
/Geraner

@Odkrys

Is there any detailed description how to get policy-based routing to work in combination with WireGuard? Selecting devices that use WireGuard client while others use the internet without WireGuard. It would really be great to get this working.
Main reason for this is to let for example the TV access the internet without the usage of VPN, as Netflix Sweden basically stopped working with any VPN provider that supports WireGuard today. All other devices can use the WireGuard connection.

Thanks
/Geraner
It's hard to tell about all these kind of requests.
The method I use is using openvpn policy routing.
For example, set 192.168.50.10 to wan and 192.168.50.0/24 to vpn, and then type ip rule in command will show the relevant settings.
You can do this with WireGuard table 117.

Thanks
/Geraner

Hmmm...I wonder what that says about WG? Did Netflix do that because of demand lately? And will they open things back up on their servers when that demand starts to return to normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm...I wonder what that says about WG? Did Netflix do that because of demand lately? And will they open things back up on their servers when that demand starts to return to normal?

The blocks are related to the IP addresses used to connect, not to the VPN technology (as they have no way of detecting a specific VPN tech). Netflix typically blocks IP ranges that belong to VPN providers to prevent people from getting around geofencing, therefore it will block you regardless of if you are using WG, OpenVPN, L2TP or Socks 5.

Having an issue with opkg... Using RT 86u

Merlin version: 384.13

4.1.27 #2 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 31 14:51:32 EDT 2019 aarch64 ASUSWRT-Merlin
Collected errors:
* pkg_init_from_file: Malformed package file wireguard-kernel_1.0.20200330-ac_aarch64-3.10.ipk.

Also tools fail with same error..

Collected errors:
* pkg_init_from_file: Malformed package file wireguard-tools_1.0.20200319-1_aarch64-3.10.ipk.

Any help would be appreciated!

Collected errors:
* pkg_init_from_file: Malformed package file wireguard-kernel_1.0.20200330-ac_aarch64-3.10.ipk.

Collected errors:
* pkg_init_from_file: Malformed package file wireguard-tools_1.0.20200319-1_aarch64-3.10.ipk.

I checked the other day, and there are newer versions of the kernel and possibly the user space tools as well. You’re also 3 revisions behind Merlin...which may be the better place to start.
You’re following the directions on the correct WireGuard thread/topic, I hope. Other than that...Hmm.
The date stamp of Wed 31 July - that isn’t what the router thinks it is, is it? Or was that the day/time Merlin 384.13 was compiled?

Collected errors:

Collected errors:

It looks your files are corrupted.
plz download the files in pc and copy to router.

@Amiga it won't happen. Many posts explain why, please search. :)

I'd actually like both both VPNs, WireGuard and OpenVPN, bundled with a decent GUI into a Merlin fork.

I would also like RMerlin to begin supporting FSOC, Free-Space Optical Communication protocols using lasers. I feel like this would be the ideal thing for low latency between 4k TV and Plex, as long as they have line of sight.

I would also like RMerlin to begin supporting FSOC, Free-Space Optical Communication protocols using lasers. I feel like this would be the ideal thing for low latency between 4k TV and Plex, as long as they have line of sight.

Oooh, and what if we used it to keep our NTP setups in sync with the GPS constellation? Lasers from space!

@Amiga someone may fork the features you need into a specific model of router that can support it (RT-AC86U and possibly RT-AX88U), but highly doubtful. They would have done it already (the idea is not new, it is from at least 2018).

Hey folks - thanks for the hard work on this, it's working great on my RT-AC86U, in policy mode.

However, I had a question - I'm by no means an expert with Linux, so wondered if someone could point me to a simple way of having the VPN not turn on at router startup? My router is scheduled to reboot at 3am each day, and I've found that the VPN is starting automatically at boot.

Can i simply move the S50wireguard file to a different directory, outside of init.d?

Thanks!

Hey folks - thanks for the hard work on this, it's working great on my RT-AC86U, in policy mode.

However, I had a question - I'm by no means an expert with Linux, so wondered if someone could point me to a simple way of having the VPN not turn on at router startup? My router is scheduled to reboot at 3am each day, and I've found that the VPN is starting automatically at boot.

Can i simply move the S50wireguard file to a different directory, outside of init.d?

Thanks!
chmod 000 /opt/etc/init.d/S50wireguard