What's new

[Experimental] WireGuard for HND platform (4.1.x kernels)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Unlike systemctl, I don't know how to prevent autostart and enable manual start.

Thanks - I may have figured out a workaround for now; I've moved the S50wireguard file from init.d to /opt/home/ and and can confirm that it doesn't start automatically on reboot, and also still functions manually with the start/stop/restart commands.

These changes are unrelated to wireguard.
I'll give you the "unrelated:" they may yet still prove complimentary I would think.

Updated to 384.17 beta, no issues with WG.
Fantastic, but I wasn't looking for issues. I'm hoping for improvements, synergies...time will tell no doubt.

When I go to amazon I see several Models:

RT-AC86U
RT-AC2900
GT-AC2900

Are they all the same/interchangeable with the Merlin/wireguard firmware/addon's?

sorry if this question has been asked already, did a search on this thread for "AC2900" and got nothing. Even the MD5 hashes on the latest firmware at ASUS for the RT-AC86U and RT-AC2900 are exactly the same.

Last edited:
sorry if this question has been asked already, did a search on this thread for "AC2900" and got nothing. Even the MD5 hashes on the latest firmware at ASUS for the RT-AC86U and RT-AC2900 are exactly the same.

I'm fairly certain the RT models use the same firmware. In the past some GT models if I remember correctly used a different firmware and were not compatible with Asuswrt-Merlin.

Edit: And from Asuswrt-Merlin website....the RT-AC2900 (same firmware as RT-AC86U)

Edit 2: From the FAQ in the Asuswrt-Merlin forum.

Model support

Q: Will you support the GT-xxxxx?
A: No, because of infrequent GPL releases from Asus (mandatory for proper support by Asuswrt-Merlin), the amount of extra work involved in supporting specifically those GT models, and their low popularity due to their high price.

Rough benchmark of WireGuard Userspace implementation.

Server : RT-AC86U
Client : Windows 10 laptop. WireGuard-windows. Connected over wi-fi.

The measurement tool was iperf.

wireguard-go (64bit) 120Mbps Cpu 100%/200%
wireguard-go (32bit) 102Mbps Cpu 110%/200%

boringtun (64bit) 178Mbps Cpu 110%/200%
boringtun (32bit) 73Mbps Cpu 120%/200%

Rust was better on 64bit and Go was better on 32bit.
Do not believe too much as it was a rough measure.

Edit : Wired test.

wireguard-go doesn't seem to be using all of router's resources.
On the other hand, boringtun shows 100% utilization when pinning to the second cpu using taskset.
However, it looks very bad on 32bit.

kernel 422Mbps CPU 180~190%/200%

wireguard-go 132Mbps (64bit) CPU 110%~120%/200%
wireguard-go 110Mbps (32bit) CPU 120%/200%

boringtun (64bit) 242Mbps CPU 150%/200% (core 1 50%/core 2 100%)
boringtun (32bit) 72Mbps CPU 120%/200% (core 1 20%/core 2 100%)

Edit 2 : wireguard-rs. Wired.

wireguard-rs looks good.

wireguard-rs (64bit) 216Mbps CPU 160~190%/200%
wireguard-rs (32bit) 208Mbps CPU 170~190%/200%

Last edited:
Rough benchmark of WireGuard Userspace implementation.

Server : RT-AC86U
Client : Windows 10 laptop. WireGuard-windows. Connected over wi-fi.

The measurement tool was iperf.

wireguard-go (64bit) 120Mbps Cpu 100%/200%
wireguard-go (32bit) 102Mbps Cpu 110%/200%

boringtun (64bit) 178Mbps Cpu 110%/200%
boringtun (32bit) 73Mbps Cpu 120%/200%

Rust was better on 64bit and Go was better on 32bit.
Do not believe too much as it was a rough measure.

Still shows that it's not very far away from OpenVPN, confirming that what's mostly killing OpenVPN performance are the context switches, not the OpenVPN code itself.

Still shows that it's not very far away from OpenVPN, confirming that what's mostly killing OpenVPN performance are the context switches, not the OpenVPN code itself.
I agree. Userspace and single-threaded are really problems.

Wireguard for Mullvad suddenly stopped working for me. I made no change but have now updated to latest beta.
openvpn works but I only get 150Mbit down instead of 600Mbit with wireguard.

Anyone have a tip?

router: RT-AC86U

I agree. Userspace and single-threaded are really problems.

OpenVPN 2.5.0 will be great for low-powered devices, as it will introduce Chacha20 support.

@Odkrys the RT-AC86U is not a 'low powered' device currently. The opposite actually for OpenVPN. :)

@Odkrys the RT-AC86U is not a 'low powered' device currently. The opposite actually for OpenVPN. :)
I know. As Rmerlin said, "what's mostly killing OpenVPN performance are the context switches,", I just wanna know real number.
In openvpn, the encryption level obviously affects throughput, but it's not much bigger than I thought.
On AC86U, cipher / auth = none and aes-gcm are almost the same throughput.
And aes-gcm is quite faster than chacha20, but the actual speed doesn't seem to make any difference.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax58u-vpn-speeds.62591/#post-559129
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-performance-of-the-rt-ac86u.41217/page-13#post-457660