What's new

[Experimental] WireGuard for HND platform (4.1.x kernels)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

One final dumb question: if I want to update to the latest version of Wireguard, which distribution do I want, and where exactly do I click to download it? :confused:
Just check the link to the WireGuard install file. The link is been updated from time to time. Download it if a new version is available, then install it over the existing one on your router and restart WireGuard.

Just check the link to the WireGuard install file. The link is been updated from time to time. Download it if a new version is available, then install it over the existing one on your router and restart WireGuard.
Ah, okay, got you. (I was confused by the fact that there's a v0.0.20180918 mentioned on the Wireguard site, but the Google Drive link still points to 0.0.20180910. Just impatient, I guess. :) )

Ah, okay, got you. (I was confused by the fact that there's a v0.0.20180918 mentioned on the Wireguard site, but the Google Drive link still points to 0.0.20180910. Just impatient, I guess. :) )
How stable is your WireGuard connection working? Uptime xx hours/days without any problems?

How stable is your WireGuard connection working? Uptime xx hours/days without any problems?
Difficult to say. It certainly stays up for several hours. I can't usually leave it turned on much longer than that, because otherwise I can't access Netflix.

Must have Netflix! :confused:

:)

(If there's a way to route some devices through the Wireguard connection and others not, in the same way as you can for OpenVPN, that would be handy).

I'll try leaving it up overnight, if I can, see if it's still functioning in the morning....

Hi,
I'm trying to install the wireguard on r7000 runing with xwrt-vortex 384.6 but it seems there an incompatibility with the package https://drive.google.com/open?id=11hSN24otG2tXshWZlTLYognOJPmQeSmB

opkg install wireguard_0.0.20180910-ac28449_aarch64-3.10.ipk
Collected errors:
* pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for wireguard found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package wireguard.

Do you have any clue ?

Thanks

I was browsing kernels for my phone on xda yesterday. Every one had wireguard included. I think its here to stay.

Uptime xx hours/days without any problems?
Up for roughly 66 hours, now, and still stable. I'm going to have to disconnect it pretty soon, though, as I want to upgrade the router to 384.7 beta 2 firmware.

At some point I'll have a go at getting policy-based routing working over Wireguard - if I can, it should be possible to leave the connection up for longer.

EDIT: Got policy-based routing working. Hooray! :)

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm trying to install the wireguard on r7000 runing with xwrt-vortex 384.6 but it seems there an incompatibility with the package https://drive.google.com/open?id=11hSN24otG2tXshWZlTLYognOJPmQeSmB

opkg install wireguard_0.0.20180910-ac28449_aarch64-3.10.ipk
Collected errors:
* pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for wireguard found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package wireguard.

Do you have any clue ?

Thanks
I think it has something to do with the CPU this router is using. It's not supported for this installation package. Another CPU structure/Chipset than on the ASUS RT-AC86u ?

I think it has something to do with the CPU this router is using. It's not supported for this installation package. Another CPU structure/Chipset than on the ASUS RT-AC86u ?

Thanks Geraner, you're right, r7000 is not the same CPU (armv71) as AC86U (aarch64) so package cannot be installed ...
I tried to find out the armv71 Wireguard package without success ...

Hmm. Wireguard connection spontaneously dropped at some point this afternoon, after seeming stable for something like 48-50 hours. Curious.

Beside, implementing Wireguard makes even less sense than the other solutions, since out of 8 different routers, only one single model would be able to support it.
I'm curious about this. AzireVPN's setup instructions for Wireguard imply that any router that can run OpenWRT can handle Wireguard. That includes the AC56U, AC68U, and AC87U, all three of which can also run Asuswrt-Merlin. Hypothetically, what would stop them from running Wireguard when Merlinified?

I'm curious about this. AzireVPN's setup instructions for Wireguard imply that any router that can run OpenWRT can handle Wireguard. That includes the AC56U, AC68U, and AC87U, all three of which can also run Asuswrt-Merlin. Hypothetically, what would stop them from running Wireguard when Merlinified?

I believe it's kernel related. Merlin stays with the base ASUS code which is using the 2.6.36.4 linux kernel. Wireguard needs at least 3.10. If you install OpenWRT then you can use wireguard but on the ASUS codebase the kernel version is too old.

Hmm. Wireguard connection spontaneously dropped at some point this afternoon, after seeming stable for something like 48-50 hours. Curious.
Hmm. I've had this happen twice, now - looks like this version of Wireguard isn't entirely stable. Pity. :(

Hmm. I've had this happen twice, now - looks like this version of Wireguard isn't entirely stable. Pity. :(
Hmm.. well then you have finally got the same problem as I had. I'm wondering whether this problem has to do with a firewall restart? Did you see anything in your router logs whats going on at the time the VPN stopped working? I was thinking about entering the commend written in the first post, as a script so Wireguard is restarted once the firewall is restarted. Don't know whether this helps.

I enabled debugging for module.
Reinstall and set the loglevel (Log only messages more urgent than) to all
or dmesg in shell.

PS. I personally set wireguard on my vps and have not gotten disconnection problem.

Last edited:
I enabled debugging for module.
Reinstall and set the loglevel (Log only messages more urgent than) to all
or dmesg in shell.

PS. I personally set wireguard on my vps and have not gotten disconnection problem.
Could it have to do with the DNS settings? Since we don't enter any DNS settings in the WireGuard config, so the routering stopps working after some hours?

Could it have to do with the DNS settings? Since we don't enter any DNS settings in the WireGuard config, so the routering stopps working after some hours?
VPN provider drop the connection if users don't use their dns server ? It is nonsense.
And you can change DNS servers in WAN page.

change Route to policy and add this to end of wg-policy script.
Code:
ip rule del prio 11111 2>/dev/null
ip rule del prio 11112 2>/dev/null
ip rule add from 192.168.1.10 lookup 117 prio 11111
ip rule add from 192.168.1.20 lookup 117 prio 11112
This may enough for you.
Don't touch ##For ipset based Policy Routing part.
This two rules should be added to wg-down script too.

ip rule del prio 11111 2>/dev/null
ip rule del prio 11112 2>/dev/null

Hi, this has been super helpful!
What would the policy be if I wanted to exclude an IP rather than include a specific IP?