What's new

Explain what IPTV settings actually do in IOS terminology?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aalba86U

New Around Here
(This on RT-AC86U RT-AC68U)
Could someone kindly explain what the IPTV settings do for someone from Cisco IOS background?
Thank you.

[Background: my ISP has installed a Nucleus Connect fiber modem with two ports enabled: one for internet access and one for IPTV (i.e. IPTV doesn't actually share the internet subscription/WAN interface but is a completely separate L2-network on its own tagged VLAN). I was hoping to use the RT as an Internet router + L2-managed switch to distribute to the rest of the home. The STB is hardcoded to require tagged Ethernet frames on VID 1091.

In the SSH CLI it would look like:

# create a standalone L2-network for VLAN1091 IPTV
ip link add name br1091 type bridge

# create a trunk port to receive IPTV from Nucleus modem Port 2
ip link add link eth3 name eth3.1091 type vlan id 1091
ip link set eth3.1091 master br1091

# create a trunk port to uplink IPTV/internet to rest of home
ip link add link eth4 name eth4.1091 type vlan id 1091
ip link set eth4.1091 master br1091

Can the IPTV GUI do this?
]

Example ASUSWRT stock firmware LAN-IPTV->Select ISP Profile->Manual Setting:

Internet: VID AAA
LAN Port 4: VID BBB
LAN Port 3: VID CCC

What happens to eth0(Internet) eth3(LAN Port 3) eth4(LAN Port 4) (or br0)? In VLAN terminology
  1. which ports are VLAN trunks (which VLANs are enabled on the port and which are tagged/untagged)
  2. which ports become access ports and what is the native VLAN?
From Cisco IOS lingo we have
Access port:
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan NNN

Trunk port:
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan ??
switchport trunk native vlan ???

Last edited:
I have not setup IPTV as I don't have it. What I know is they are creating a VLAN 1091. The access port would be a port in VLAN 1091. The trunk port is the way you allow multiple VLANs on 1 port.

I don't remember what br0 stands for in, ip link add name br1091 type bridge, it probably relates to multicast where there is a 1 to many relationship.

As I remember the native VLAN and the default VLAN are the same. They are the catch all for all untagged traffic in a trunk. So all untagged traffic ends up on your native VLAN.

So it sounds like to me it is a L2 multicast coming in on VLAN 1091. How do you handle multicast on your switch?

It is too early, I need to finish my coffee. Maybe I will think of something.

You want to be careful with multicast traffic as you can flood your network. You really want to setup only ports which will use the multicast. There is a difference in multicast on layer 2 and on layer 3. So setting multicast up will be different on a layer 3 switch vs a layer 2 switch.

I don't see why you can't feed a cable straight into your switch. The router is not going have any effect on a multicast stream. I would pick the ports which I would like TV on and only setup those ports with multicast. I would not want multicast on my wireless. Multicast is like a broadcast on your network. It goes everywhere.

Here is a basic configuration setup of multicast on my Cisco small business SG300-28 switch.

Then I think you would create a VLAN 1091 add a port and plug in the multicast feed. Next would be to add the ports which would receive the multicast stream.

Last edited:
I don't get this feature myself.

In my case I'm getting internet (untagged) and IPTV (tagged) on a single cable from provider. This means I have to connect behind the ISP set-top-box which (older model with 100mb integrated switch) which I don't like.

What I need is a feature, which bridges the WAN port to one of the LAN ports passing tagged packets untouched, so I can connect my ISP on WAN for internet access via the router and the IPTV box on LAN as if the router was a switch. (another option is getting a cheap 4 port gigabit L2 switch which I'm trying to avoid)