What's new

Expose certain ports to wan instead of vpn client and other vpn question..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matthew Patrick

So here's what I was thinking. Since my vpn provider doesn't allow port forwarding. So . My questions are..

1. Is it possible to expose certain ports to the wan instead ? And let the other traffic thru the vpn tunnel?? That way I can port forward say my game servers thru wan instead of it going thru the vpn.
2. So the vpn has devices limit of 5 . And I have a lot of devices. So is it possible to run the openvpn client on my router running the vpn profile, and then running the openvpn server on the router so that it will route traffic thru the vpn?? So basically when I'm outside I can connect my phone to the openvpn server on my home which will go thru the vpn tunnel at home.

anyways just for info. I'm using the AC86U. And yeah I know that it's gonna be as fast as the slowest link . Which is my home network. But it's okay since I usually don't use that much bandwidth. Thanks!

I know it's not the answer to your question but just throwing out an alternate solution to post 4.
If you're not set on sticking with your existing vpn, you could change to a vpn provider that does allow port forwarding, e.g. https://airvpn.org/ (there may be others)

1601057830496.png

then add entries to nat-start, e.g.
Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i tun11 -p tcp --dport 52038 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.10
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i tun11 -p tcp --dport 9351 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.10 
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i tun11 -p tcp --dport 9008 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.10 
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i tun11 -p tcp --dport 7001 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.10 
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i tun11 -p tcp --dport 8001 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.10

Oh thanks . That's the new one I guess. I'll check it out later. Now just gotta figure out how to make the vpn server go thru the vpn client