What's new

ext3 vs ntfs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lucian

Occasional Visitor
I have an 1.5 GB USB 3.0 drive on USB. Formated with ntfs I got write speeds of 15MB/s, with ext3 I only get 12 MB/s. (Samba -> 100% cpu load both)

Merlin wrote somewhere that Asus uses optimized ntfs driver.

But could they be rly faster than ext3 ?

I seem to remember Merlin writing that the Asus routers are using Linux, therefore the ext2/3 drivers are optimized for disks with that format. Conversely, NTFS support is not native and slower.

exactly, but I get faster rates with NTFS ..... :confused:
Yes, because Asus bought commercial Paragon's NTFS driver which is fast as a native Linux Ext3. Even bit faster then Ext3.

Still, you can't do many common Linux things on NTFS. The choice is yours:
  • if USB drive is used only to store torrent/dlna content then NTFS may fits better because of Windows compatibility.
  • if you plan to install additional programs via Entware/Optware then use Ext3.

Will ext4 work?
No. Our kernel is too old for Ext4. I know only one firmware which is backported Ext4 successfully — Oleg's firmware. Here is a minimal list of patches to get Ext4 working (first approach):
In other words, there is a lot of work to do, and really lot of test has to be done. But it's worth hard working: there will be no fragmentation at all! Here is my example to get +28% performance boost after defragmentation.

My past experiences with Paragon's NTFS driver are less than stellar. On the WDTV they were an endless source of headache and disk corruption. I also had a weird interaction involving Samba, the Paragon driver, and the way disks were mounted. Performance when writing a large file would be abysmal, until the disk was unmounted, and remounted again.

Asus uses a newer version than WD (8.6 vs 8.5). Thankfully, so far I haven't seen any report of massive disk corruption like the WDTV experienced. But I still prefer to entrust my data to ext3 when it comes to anything plugged to a Linux box.

BTW, Andy Padavan (RT-N56U alt f\w author) reports about ufsd bug: NTFS partition can be exported via NFS, we need to check this out.

I vaguely remember reading something about how it only worked with some specific versions of ufsd. I can't remember which one however.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!