What's new

Extending ethernet w/WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Riptide

Regular Contributor
I have a device in an area with no ethernet run. This device does not support WiFi. Wired networking only.

I have a GT-AXE16000 as the main router and access point. I also have an old NT-66U dark night unused currently. Is there an easy way to resolve this challenge via use of this equipment?

I have also looked at WiFi extenders with built-in ethernet ports. These seem like they might do the trick too but I'm a little unclear on what function the ethernet port serves. Can it be used to provide connectivity to an attached device? If affirm, does it provide the dhcp assigned IP address to an attached device? Not sure how that works.

Thanks much.

Not sure how that works.

This:

1676820708563.png

(disregard AiMesh related, the screenshot is from a newer model router)
The router will ask what network to connect to - SSID and password. Done.

Thank you both.

I set the NT66U in media bridge and it seems to work OK. Tested with a laptop connected to it via ethernet. I have connectivity.

Saves a few bucks over buying an extender and while it's limited to the old radios on NT66U that isn't an issue in this scenario. I don't need a lot of bandwidth here. Just a->b.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!