What's new

Extending main incoming (BT) broadband / phone line

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IanCD

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks,
img_20190226_143905.jpg

We've been rebuilding this house for 6+ years, and it's only now become clear where the phone, modem and router need to go... I moved the BT cable and phone/ADSL faceplate yesterday (so the cable now runs under these stairs and we won't trip over it), but that's not where I want to connect them.
I'm going to put a shelf high up above that radiator, and that's where they'll go (protected from getting too hot by insulating under the shelf and/or using reflective material).
The cables on the modem and phone cordless phone base station aren't long enough to reach up there. I want to run the cabling for them through that wall which protrudes about 200mm into the room and, preferably, just one cable if possible taking the broadband and phone to a second faceplate. The wall is lath and plaster and I'd like the hole through it to be as small as possible, maybe just big enough for a single Cat 5E cable, going to a new faceplate or sockets on the other side of the wall next to the radiator. The modem and phone cables would then run up in the corner beside the radiator to the shelf, along with 4 ethernet cables from other rooms.
I found this on YouTube, but I'm wondering if this is the best way to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xwTOl3PBKw&t=25s
Many thanks,
Ian

How far is your DMark? What about just running a line from the DMark rather than another connection? It will give you a nice new line.

Most phones now are VOIP. VOIP runs off the back of the modem so you don't need a dual connection plate if your base station is by your modem. If you have a second phone then you will need to connect to the house wiring.

I don't know anything about a radiator and the heat given off. I am from Texas. It does not get real cold here.

Yes it sounds like it will work. You need to do a good job on the connections or you will have trouble.

Last edited:
there are two issues for the equipment - direct heating and air temperature. You list insulation and foil to block direct heating by radiation and that will somewhat work. However, the bigger issue is likely the air temperature around the equipment which insulation and foil will not affect. Since warm air rises, it will wrap around the shelf and be drawn into the equipment. What is the air temperature above the coils when the system is running - 40 - 45 C ?

Also, what is the temperature near the ceiling at shelf height ? With passive heating and no air mixing, the ceiling area will be the warmest in the house.

How far is your DMark? What about just running a line from the DMark rather than another connection? It will give you a nice new line.
If DMark is the same as 'DMarc', short for demarcation point between phone line provider and householder, then it's that box shown in the photograph at the left of the last step before the top. That's where I want to run the extension cable(s) from.
I'm not sure most of our cordless phones here in UK are VOIP... if they are, I'm well behind the times..! ;-) Anyway, ours isn't, so I need to connect both the telephone landline and broadband.

there are two issues for the equipment - direct heating and air temperature. You list insulation and foil to block direct heating by radiation and that will somewhat work. However, the bigger issue is likely the air temperature around the equipment which insulation and foil will not affect. Since warm air rises, it will wrap around the shelf and be drawn into the equipment. What is the air temperature above the coils when the system is running - 40 - 45 C ?

Also, what is the temperature near the ceiling at shelf height ? With passive heating and no air mixing, the ceiling area will be the warmest in the house.

Hmm... yes, I see it could be a problem... might have to think again about that..!
I'll still need to extend the connections, wherever the equipment goes...

If DMark is the same as 'DMarc', short for demarcation point between phone line provider and householder, then it's that box shown in the photograph at the left of the last step before the top. That's where I want to run the extension cable(s) from.
I'm not sure most of our cordless phones here in UK are VOIP... if they are, I'm well behind the times..! ;-) Anyway, ours isn't, so I need to connect both the telephone landline and broadband.

You are correct I spelled it wrong. I would change your DMarc to a flush mounted box. If you cut for a extension box you might be able fish the wire inside the wall. Can you, by any chance, get the phone company to make your changes?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!