What's new

extending network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

przemekwawa

Regular Contributor
Hello,
I have rt-ac66u in house, but in some places the signal is weak. I have no possibility to extend using cable and another AP(my wife denied to have some cables on walls), so I am thinking about wifi extender. I have tested a few but none of them can use WPA2 (only WEP in repeater mode), and it slows down the network 2x. Have anyone tested some asus dual band wireless extender (e.g. EA-N66)? Can it connect to my rt-ac66u using wifi as a client and using second antenna, or event using second-band to create second network (same SSID, another channel)?
Or do anyone have some other ideas how to extend wifi in such a way that it would be efficient and would use WPA2?

Hello,
I have rt-ac66u in house, but in some places the signal is weak. I have no possibility to extend using cable and another AP(my wife denied to have some cables on walls), so I am thinking about wifi extender.

Or do anyone have some other ideas how to extend wifi in such a way that it would be efficient and would use WPA2?
Hi,

For cases where you cannot use a LAN cable to reach the WLAN extender, I would always go for a Powerline solution:
- There are WLAN modules which you can use out of the box, or
- Use the LAN extenders and connect a WLAN router / access point on them.

With kind regards
Joe

Hi,

For cases where you cannot use a LAN cable to reach the WLAN extender, I would always go for a Powerline solution:
- There are WLAN modules which you can use out of the box, or
- Use the LAN extenders and connect a WLAN router / access point on them.

With kind regards
Joe
I thought about that, but there is no possibility - I have 3 phases in outlets (I don't know if this is the proper word in english), and the condition is that there would be one phase...

So the only solution for me is repeater. Is there any that would not decrease speed of wifi connection?

Under repeater mode, you can use WPA2/ I am using it with DD-WRT.

Which device are you using?
Is it stable?
Does anyone have checked if wpa2 is available and stable using tomato or Merlin wrt?

Edit: I have checked my rt-ac66u - in description of WDS mode there is info that it will work only in Open/WEP encryption mode:(
So, any ideas about configuration (soft+device) that will work in WPA2 mode? Half of the speed is no so important for me, but WPA2 is.

Last edited: