What's new

Extending network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Candurin

Occasional Visitor
Could use some help, hopefully not too involved.

I’ve been more than thrilled with the performance of my R7800 with voxel firmware and kamoj add on.

I would like to get extend my network to our side yard. What would be the easiest way to keep all devices on same network? Just add another R7800 or should I use an actual “network extender”.

Ideally, I would just extend the WiFi range using wireless, however, if I must run a cat5, 6 or 7 cable to the side of our house I can.

Just looking for easiest way to do this and some guidance. I assume I need an additional AP, but which one is recommended

Run the Ethernet cable (always, when possible). Use any router as an AP at the other end. Best possible scenario.

An 'extender' is just a repeater that will both halve your speeds and give latency issues too. Not just for the devices connected to it, but to the entire network too when the 'extender' is used.

So, if I get another r7800, I can set it up exactly the same as my main one and everything will be seamless?

I’ll grab one one sale. Plus, I want to keep with voxel firmware so that limits options no?

You have any specific recommendations?

My only suggestion for an AP is that it is first and foremost a router. Single-purpose network devices like 'extenders' I tend to shy away from.

If you're able to get a good deal on a sale, even better, as you will have more benefits than just an additional AP, as indicated in my post above. :)

I would recommend you stick with Voxel firmware too. Only read great things about it. :)

My first R7800 was quite expensive so I never thought of getting a second one.

I wasn't even looking for a second one, I just stumbled upon an ad for one in my local classifieds. They're quite hard to find here so I was really surprised.

Bought it immediately. Now I have one as an AP as well, replaced my old crappy ASUS range extender.

You don't need that fancy mesh WiFi stuff, I can't find a single thing to complain about with my double R7800 setup. Great WiFi coverage on both floors of the house, and having them set on the same SSID gives me basically seamless roaming when I walk from downstairs to upstairs.

TL;DR - If you can get another R7800 as an AP, it's definitely worth it. It just works.

Ideally, I would just extend the WiFi range using wireless, however, if I must run a cat5, 6 or 7 cable to the side of our house I can ... Just looking for easiest way to do this and some guidance. I assume I need an additional AP
My skills are limited so I lean towards simple, easy, cheap. Buying a 2nd router and dumbing it down to be an AP is doable but it's not the cheapest or simplest. (Also my wife would never tolerate a 2nd multi-horned alien creature hanging about.)
Run the Ethernet cable (always, when possible). Use any router as an AP at the other end. Best possible scenario.
Can't disagree but, sometimes, I'll still go wireless. If it works I can defer wiring until I get around to it.
An 'extender' is just a repeater that will both halve your speeds and give latency issues too.
True enough if the "extender" is configured as a repeater. Some "extenders" can be configured as wired APs and some of the dual band extenders can be configured to eliminate the "halfing" of a "repeater".

For example some of the dual-band Netgear range extenders offer what they call "fast lane". You configure one radio to be a dedicated back haul to the router and the 2nd for client devices only. They also come with an Ethernet port so that they can be configured as a wired AP. Depending on your needs figure around $100-ish.

I'm using an ex7700 extender with my r7800, didn't have the possibility to run a cable through my house.

Running stable and no noticeable latency issues.

I’ll grab one one sale. Plus, I want to keep with voxel firmware so that limits options no?

You have any specific recommendations?

I did the same thing. Grabbed two R7800 on ebay, one was "defective" cheap, but just needed a fresh install. Sold my two older routers and didn't end up spending that much in the end. I have a good area to cover and needed outside coverage. So far they are getting the job done. Nice to have them on the same fw.

I'm running an EX7000 with my R7800 (Voxel), connected only on the 5GHz channel. Ethernet is not a viable option.

The R7800 measures the d/l speed as 209 Mbps. The workstation attached to the EX7000 by Ethernet measures the same. The latency is a bit higher (11 vs 9).

The equipment is not close; it is 3 floors apart. I've been more than impressed with the performance.

Last edited: