What's new

Extension of WiFi and cable networks - planning + equipment purchase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaaV

New Around Here
I'm new here, so hello everyone!

I'm from Poland and now I want to modernize a bit my home network. Firstly, I'll tell you about the situation, and then what I'd like to achieve.

Apartment, several tenants, Internet with UPC, as a modem from the provider we have UPC Connect Box:
https://www.upc.ch/pdf/support/manuals/en/internet/ConnectBox/connect-box-manual.pdf

From it, we have created a WiFi network + three ethernet cables released to each room, where 1 computer (PC) is connected.

1) In the farthest room, I currently want to extend the possible number of simultaneously connected cables (so it comes to mind the switch), without pulling additional ones through the whole apartment with the UPC Connect Box (in fact, there is only one slot already free).

2) Additionally, there are sometimes problems with WiFi range here, so I thought it would be good to increase it's the power since there is a cable (Access Point comes to mind).

3) Nice addition I've been thinking about for a long time is making my network drive on the local network (or with the option of exposing it to the world) - here comes the NAS or a router with a USB port and the option of attaching the drive to USB.

Buying three devices is very average, especially as there is less and less space under the desk in the cable trough.

Is there any option to handle 1 and 2 with one device? A router with AP option can split traffic into additional 3/4 cables + propagate the same network?

If so, is there an option to add a network drive?

The budget to get along, I don't want to make a mess, it's an investment for the future. I hope it'll be worth investing - up to $100, or for discussion.

Thanks a lot for all your help, give a sign of how this will be best solved and if it is at all possible.

Best regards,
DaaV

Re 1&2: pretty much any router comes with at least 4x lan ports (built in switch) so running the router as an access point would solve both issues.

Re 3: personally, I would use a real NAS device. Many other people here do use a router with usb drive attached, but it depends on how many simultaneous users, file sizes, type of file etc, and may have an impact on the router performance and stability. For my purposes, I need and want a dedicated NAS (actually multiple) that is independent of the router.

Hey @dosborne,

Thank you for your replay.

I'm happy that router with AP run could solve my main issues. So any router that handle AP mode is good for me?

I know NAS is better, but it'll be like first touch and some kind of experiment. Two people, manly docs & photos.

Could you recommend some good router in my budget (up to $100)? With or without USB for network drive.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
DaaV

Personally, I like ASUS routers, running Merlin firmware, but there are a lot of good brands and models out there. I don't have a specific model to suggest in that price range, but other people here may be able to offer some advice.

Cool @dosborne, thanks for explaining it out. On other forum I got recommendation for ASUS RT-AC68U, it's quite expensive and a bit over my budget, but maybe worth it?

@DaaV I hope I am understanding your questions and situation correctly. :)

I don't think there are any routers worth buying below $100 that will be used as the main router.

The RT-AC68U is an old model that isn't recommended anymore. The effective replacement is the RT-AC66U_B1 model with faster processors.

How big is your apartment? How fast is your ISP speeds?

I'm fairly confident that a single RT-AC66U_B1 will be a huge upgrade for your wireless needs over the UPC Connect Box.

If you need a second wired connection in a room that has an Ethernet cable already there, simply add a switch like the one below and connect as many client devices as there are ports on the switch (less one for the run back to the main router, of course).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BVYT3/?tag=snbforums-20

Of course, you can add this switch to all the rooms if needed to increase the number of wired clients you can use simultaneously. :)

I don't believe an Access Point is beneficial in an apartment setting. It will just create further interference for all WiFi users instead. And the single main router should easily cover the apartment and more.

HTH. :)

Hello @L&LD,

Thank you for your reply.

>I don't think there are any routers worth buying below $100 that will be used as the main router.

This router will not be main (for now), it'll be second one, but when I'll move to another flat or change my ISP, it could take that role.

>How big is your apartment? How fast is your ISP speeds?

About 60 m^2, ISP said 500 Mb/s, but it's rather 300/30 download/upload atm.

>I'm fairly confident that a single RT-AC66U_B1 will be a huge upgrade for your wireless needs over the UPC Connect Box.
I'm fairly confident that a lot of custom routers will be better than UPC Connect Box :p But I don't want to replace it but just increase area and power of WiFi + add more ports in one room. Let me show it on picture to be sure we're on the same page.

I attached two images, actual situation (actual_network_map.png) and what I want to achieve (future_network_map.png).

Will RT-AC66U_B1 be able to cover that idea? I understand, that it's much more better than RT-AC68U? Double checking, because price for RT-AC66U_B1 is much more lower in my country... o_O

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
DaaV

Attachments

• actual_network_map.png
    actual_network_map.png
    31 KB · Views: 216
  • future_network_map.png
    future_network_map.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 206
You're welcome.

The RT-AC66U_B1 is effectively the current version of the RT-AC68U. I would not be buying an RT-AC68U today. :)

The size of your apartment and the IPS speeds you have should be easily handled by a single 'AC66U_B1.

Edit: I see the images now. :)

Instead of buying a switch, why not just 'Bridge' your current UPC Connect Box router, turn off it's WiFi and put the new router in the location where you want more ports? :)

That will give you the best of all worlds. :)

Hmm, I see them there, so I uploaded them to imgur, links below:
actual situation: https://i.imgur.com/nrM4mb2.png
goal: https://i.imgur.com/aLpl3c6.png

Flat is in shape of "L" character, now ConnectBox is on the top of "L", and place for second router will be in the end of the character (right bottom), so it'll cover all flat(?).

I see it's not so easy to make it good, so I just wondering about just buying simple switch for room 3 and use WiFi from UPC Connect Box as backup plan.

Best regards,
DaaV.

In that small space, two routers doing WiFi would be overkill. And the performance for all (neighbors included) would be worse.

Instead of a 'AC router', you may want to try an RT-N12 D1 instead for just a few dollars more than a switch, or for AC capable WiFi, an RT-AC1200 instead. :)

You would want to turn down the power levels of the radios on both routers if you have the UPC Connect Box and either the 'N12 D1 or the 'AC1200 both serving WiFi up to your clients.

But you would still have three extra LAN Ports but just know they will be 100Mbps and not 1Gbps speeds. :(

If you can find the Asus AC1200GE at a good price it may be exactly what you need and give you 1Gbps LAN ports too.

Hope this helps you a bit. :)

Thank you @L&LD!

Loosing speed to 100Mbps is Hugh trouble.

After deeper analysis of the situation and your opinion that two routers on 60m^2 are a bit overkill, I think I'll just stay with the switch, which will solve the basic problem: lack of additional Ethernet cables in the room.

I see, that two models are quite popular and with 1Gb/s speed: TP-Link 8p TL-SG108 Metal and TP-Link 8p TL-SG1008D.

Which one is more worthy of attention?

Best regards,
DaaV

I would lean towards the TP-Link 8p TL-SG108 Metal. :)

But my ideal preference would be a Netgear model such as the Netgear ProSAFE GS308 8-Port Gigabit Switch GS308-300PAS. :)

Thank you for your recommendation, could you briefly underline why that model? What are the benefits in comparison with e.g. that TP-Link 8p TL-SG108 Metal?

Thank you for all help!

Best regards,
D.

I don't have much experience with the TP-Link switches, but the Netgear equivalents have worked flawlessly for years and some, decades now. :)

Thanks @L&LD,

I finished with TP-Link 8p TL-SG108 Metal (8x10/100/1000Mbit), should be good for now and when I'll be moving to new place, I'll think much more earlier about my network.

Thank you guys for you help!

Best regards,
DaaV

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!