What's new

External HDD Sleep mode doesn't work anymore.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is not a battle of whether netgear is better than ASUS

I told you Asus made "some changes" and you understood "the firmware in most RT-AX-routers are faulty". This is not a broken phone game either. What is faulty in your understanding was perhaps necessary change. It is what it is - take it or leave it. Find your own solution or wait for a "fix".

There is a setting in the ASUS router to activate hibernation for connected usb-hdd. So I activated it — but the disc does not hibernate. How am I understanding it wrong ??
No, there is no setting in the Asus RT-AX86U_Pro : 3.0.0.4.388_24198-g380c137 firmware for HDD hibernation.

Attachments

• Asus-USB.jpg
    Asus-USB.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 45
I told you Asus made "some changes" and you understood "the firmware in most RT-AX-routers are faulty". This is not a broken phone game either. What is faulty in your understanding was perhaps necessary change. It is what it is - take it or leave it. Find your own solution or wait for a "fix".
They made some changes in The firmware. Im sure with good reason. But a feature still in The firmware does no longer work. How is that not faulty? Im sure everything Else works happy-dandy … but this thread is not about all the stuff that works fine. It is about a very particular thing that use to work - but no longer does. You wanna call it something other than faulty - fine.

I really don’t get why you take this so personally? It is not like I am trash-talking your sister or anything. There is a feature that does not work — I was reaching out to see if someone had found a solution or some fix; and all of a sudden everyone goes crazy defensive and I am an idiot for excepting such a feature to work in the first place and not understanding how complex firmware is… well excuse me then.

I really don’t get why you take this so personally?

Because what I told you was something completely different.

I was reaching out to see if someone had found a solution

The "solution" I see coming to your RT-AX86U is option removed in next firmware update. It doesn't exist on newer RT-AX86U Pro routers. What you want is not necessary better. Hibernating your HDD was not a good idea and doing it 60 seconds after inactivity was even worse. Asus fixed it for you.

Either that is Merlin firmware or you are not up to date with the Asus firmware. On the AX86U Pro there is no setting for HDD hibernate. Yet my drive does hibernate. Suggest you get a new drive enclosure. Just because you old junk worked on the Netgear there is no guarantee it will work on Asus.

On the AX86U Pro there is no setting for HDD hibernate.

@SorenBalle has RT-AX86U, non-Pro version. We can check what's available in the latest firmware, but it doesn't matter.

@SorenBalle has RT-AX86U, non-Pro version. We can check what's available in the latest firmware, but it doesn't matter.
From his first post:
"I know this is somewhat of a hot potato.

Personally I just recently switched from an older netgear nighthawk router to Asus rt-ax86u pro … did a pretty thorough read-thru of all reviews — and NEVER did I stumble on this issue."

Problem solved then. The option was removed. 👍

No, there is no setting in the Asus RT-AX86U_Pro : 3.0.0.4.388_24198-g380c137 firmware for HDD hibernation.
As a datapoint. Its there for the RT-AX86U Pro running the Asus-Merlin 3004.388.4...
RT-AX86U Pro.jpg

No, this is your wrong understanding of how things should work. This is what I pointed out exactly:

If you don't like your current Asus router then revert to your previous Netgear router - problem solved.

⚠️
No, it's not. That's just a wrong Myth.

Sorry to wake up and old thread — but I am struggling with this issue, and there seems to be no real solution for it. Do I understand you correctly, that this is fixed in the Merlin-firmware? …in any case I just installed the Merlin most recent firmware on my ASUS rt-ax86pro and the issue seems to persist. The same hdd would go into sleep mode on my netgear nighthawk router; so It can’t be the hdd that is causing the problem…
There is no solution like I said unless you use very old firmware. I have dozens of HDD, SSD, NVMe Enclosures, External HDDs, HDDs, NVMe, SSD. Some of them have their own Sleep mode. Some of them only go to sleep if the sleep signal comes from the connected devices or OS. None of them works since ASUS changed the firmware. I've tested with 16000, 11000, ax86u pro, ax86u, ax88u, ax88u pro, ac86u, ac68u and more. I don't remember the version of firmware. But very old firmwares work fine for sleep mode.

Last edited:
There is no evidence that Sleep mode is not good for HDD's lifespan. It's just a Myth that Sleep mode is bad for lifespan. I can't believe there are some people still believe it. HDD Hibernation gives better lifespan. I don't really understand why some people are still believing it. Some of my HDDs are spin up and down over 100 times per day. They are over 10 years old HDDs since my dad gave them to me. They are still working great. Some of drives are working 24hours without sleeping. They are working great. Nobody knows when the HDDs die. Some of them can be dead in 1 year. Some of them can be alive over 10 years. Who knows? Are you going to use your HDD for 10 years? 20 years? 30 years? or until you die?

"During HDD hibernation, drives stop spinning, reducing power consumption and extending the lifespan of drives."

Last edited: