What's new

Extremely slow RAX12 wireless speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

idesign

Occasional Visitor
I am experiencing extremely slow 2.4GHz and 5GHz speeds using the Netgear RAX120 and am wondering if anyone in this community can offer any ideas as to the fix/cause? I have a gigabit internet connection and typically see 992 Mbps upload and 990 upload speeds without a router. Using the RAX120 and latest firmware, I am seeing speeds of 58 Mbps upload and 38 Mbps download. I hardwired the computer to the RAX120 and saw speeds of 8XX Mbps and 8XX Mbps.

Netgear support had no solutions after speaking to them. I know the AX routers are still largely a “beta” but this kind of performance is surprising.

Last edited:
I am experiencing extremely slow 2.4GHz and 5GHz speeds using the Netgear RAX120 and am wondering if anyone in this community can offer any ideas as to the fix/cause? I have a gigabit internet connection and typically see 992 Mbps upload and 990 upload speeds when the computer is hardwired to the network. Using the RAX120 and latest firmware, I am seeing speeds of 58 Mbps upload and 38 Mbps download. I hardwired the computer to the RAX120 and saw speeds of 8XX Mbps and 8XX Mbps.

Netgear support had no solutions after speaking to them. I know the AX routers are still largely a “beta” but this kind of performance is surprising.

You are using the RAX120 to do speed tests with? Your statements above are confusing. How exactly are you connected to be getting 58/38 u/d Mbps?

What have you enabled past defaults on the router? Did you do a full reset to factory defaults? Have you rebooted the router? Have you reset your modem/ONT? Have you rebooted the computer?

I would reset to factory defaults and then reflash the latest firmware (even it is the same version) and then do a reset to factory defaults once more). Make sure you leave the router idling at least 10 minutes after rebooting and after an hour it has been used, do a reboot once again and wait that 10 minutes once more. If the results repeat; this is an RMA.

Thank you. I already did exactly as you described with Netgear support. My only guess at this point is that there is a firmware issue they need to sort out. I’m sending the AX12 back to Netgear.

I am experiencing extremely slow 2.4GHz and 5GHz speeds using the Netgear RAX120 and am wondering if anyone in this community can offer any ideas as to the fix/cause? I have a gigabit internet connection and typically see 992 Mbps upload and 990 upload speeds without a router. Using the RAX120 and latest firmware, I am seeing speeds of 58 Mbps upload and 38 Mbps download. I hardwired the computer to the RAX120 and saw speeds of 8XX Mbps and 8XX Mbps.

For testing sakes, are you testing several feet away from the router? Just for testing sakes...

Are you using smart connect, or separating your 2.4 and 5 GHZ bands? I've seen Smart Connect throw devices on 2.4 randomly without people knowing.

Do you have QoS turned off? I haven't seen the need for QoS on gigabit connection in a home environment. But, to each his own.

Those numbers are potentially fairly accurate for 2.4 GHz depending on conditions. For 5 GHz with AC devices, you should generally be seeing between 350-450 within a few feet of the router testing from mobile device such as an iPhone/iPad/Android. As long as the devices utilize AC and you're getting an 866mbps clear connection.

Testing from a laptop could yield higher results as long as they're AC chips can do 866 throughput.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!