What's new

"Factory reset" whys and wherefores

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Patrick9876

Regular Contributor
After using my AC86U for several years without saving the new Merlin-oriented "factory" settings, I decided to do that first thing with my new AX86U. I tried using the instructions
here but failed.
  • 4. Plug in the router's AC power plug to the wall outlet.
  • 5. Make sure the routers power switch is in the off position.
  • 6. Plug in the power plug to the router.
  • 7. Hold down the WPS button and keep holding it until the router reboots/turns off while you turn the router on using the power button.
Holding the WPS button did nothing. (Should the WSP button be pushed before plugging in the power?)

If I did a Reset now - the kind that returns to "factory defaults" rather than setting them - I assume I would be going back to the native ASUSWrt defaults rather than the Merlin defaults. Yes?

I've been running Merlin on the AX86U for 3 or 4 days now. Is it too late to set the new "factory defaults" (if I can find a way to do it)?

After using my AC86U for several years without saving the new Merlin-oriented "factory" settings, I decided to do that first thing with my new AX86U. I tried using the instructions
here but failed.
  • 4. Plug in the router's AC power plug to the wall outlet.
  • 5. Make sure the routers power switch is in the off position.
  • 6. Plug in the power plug to the router.
  • 7. Hold down the WPS button and keep holding it until the router reboots/turns off while you turn the router on using the power button.
Holding the WPS button did nothing. (Should the WSP button be pushed before plugging in the power?)
Yes, the WPS button should be held before turning on the power. Use the official Asus instructions for your model of router.

Normal reset: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000925
Hard reset (if the normal reset doesn't work): https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074
Hard reset for the RT-AX86U: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078

If I did a Reset now - the kind that returns to "factory defaults" rather than setting them - I assume I would be going back to the native ASUSWrt defaults rather than the Merlin defaults. Yes?
No. Factory defaults are for whatever firmware you currently have installed. I don't know what you mean by "rather than setting them". Both types of reset return the router to it's default settings (for the currently installed firmware).

Probably best to ignore the word "factory" because unless you're still running the same firmware version that it shipped with you're never going to get back to the state it was in when it left the factory.

Last edited:
No. Factory defaults are for whatever firmware you currently have installed. I don't know what you mean by "rather than setting them". Both types of reset return the router to it's default settings (for the currently installed firmware).

Probably best to ignore the word "factory" because unless you're still running the same firmware version that it shipped with you're never going to get back to the state it was in when it left the factory.
OK. Now I'm more confused than before. (Or probably I now know that I've always been confused.)

I thought there was
  1. one procedure that a some new set of defaults
  2. another procedure that loaded those defaults, wiping out changes made to those variables
  3. a normal reboot or power on sequence that loaded the recent (possibly non-default) values
Does #1 happen automatically whenever new firmware is installed? (I guess that makes more sense than my original thought.)

Since I was not successful in doing the reset after installing Merlin on my new AX86U I guess I'm running with the native ASUSWrt defaults (for variables I haven't changed). And if I do the reset now I will lose all my configuration stuff - simple stuff, but it took hours for me to get right. (Of course a couple hours was taken by fighting with VI to create a /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add file. That might go quicker.)

Do the defaults differ much between ASUSWrt and Merlin (other than maybe new variables for Merlin)? It might be easier for me to just manually change values that differ.

The AX86U sometimes does not clear settings with a Hard Factory Reset. Best to use the GUI Reset with initialize all settings.
WPS or Hard Factory Reset for the AX86U: with power off, hold the WPS button and turn on power. When the power light blinks release the WPS button and let the router reboot.

Can you correct point 1. above as I don't understand what you meant to write.
Sorry about that.
"one procedure that saves a new set of defaults"

I must have been changing what I originally wrote and clearly didn't finish.
But I now realize that that is probably nonsense; there is not such procedure.