What's new

Failover / Failback issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Michael D

New Around Here
Capture.PNG
I'm running ASUSWRT-Merlin 380.65_2 on an RT-AC88U in Dual Wan / Failover mode with Failback enabled. A few times lately, the router has correctly failed over to the secondary WAN when a ping on the primary WAN has failed. The primary WAN is a Comcast modem and the secondary is an AT&T USB modem. The failover seems to be working as it should.

I'm seeing an issue with failback, however. The ping failure that causes the failover initially appears to be an issue on Comcast's network. The cable modem is not going down. Since the cable modem interface is still active, as soon as the the Failback Execution Time expires, the router tries to fail back to the cable modem. However, the Comcast network still has an issue and the ping fails again. So, the router ends up bouncing between the primary and secondary WAN. Having downtime every few minutes while the router tries to fail back to a connection that isn't really working kind of defeats the purpose of auto failover and failback.

I think the router should not fail back until a ping on the primary WAN succeeds, indicating service is really restored on the primary. A dual WAN router that I used years ago handled this correctly.

Last edited: