What's new

Failure to connect MB Pro to Synology router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpeedThree

Regular Contributor
Equipment:

• 2015 MacBook Pro running Catalina - which I just acquired

• Router - Synology RT2600ac SRM 1.3.1-9346 Update 3

I have the wifi my wife and I use set up as OurLan 2.5 and OurLan 5 ghz and guest networks set up as GuestLan 2.5 and GuestLan 5 ghz

Previously I had a 2012 MB Pro which was able to find and connect to any of these wifi networks.

No matter what I do, the 2015 MB Pro will only connect to the guest networks. It finds all four networks, but times out when I try to connect to the non-guest ones.

I have looked everywhere in the settings and I cannot see what I have done wrong.

Any suggestions are more than welcome

I just checked the Synology's Network Center, Wi-Fi Connect, and Control Panel and could not find where to see if it is not set to WPA3. Might I trouble you for exactly where in the settings I need to go to check that?

Does this screenshot help?
Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 13.17.50.jpg

Does this screenshot help?

Go to the radio tab - should have it set for A+N+AC for 5GHz, B+N for 2.4

On the wifi network itself - disable regional compatibility

I would also clear out the wifi settings on the Mac and start over on it... you didn't mention what version of MacOS is running on the MBP-2015 - is that the one running Catalina? how about the other MBP (the 2012)

Anyways - Syno and Macs are usually like seatbelts - they just "click" and work...

Attachments

• syno_mac.png
    syno_mac.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 30
My bad: Monterey is the OS running on the MB Pro.
I checked the settings and they are as you specified: set for A+N+AC for 5GHz, B+N for 2.4
I have looked in WiFi Connect, Control Panel, and Network Center but can't find the Advanced settings to which you referred.
And, I agree with you, about the Syno and Macs. I have had the Syno for about 5 years, through multiple Macs, and this is the first time I have been able to connect a Mac to one set of SSIDs (OurLan) but not the other (GuestLan).

The fact that it works on one SSID but not the other seems to prove that it's got something to do with per-SSID settings, of which the WPA authentication level is the most obvious suspect. But if you are sure you backed down to WPA2-compatible auth, it's time to look at other settings. I don't know these Syno routers so I don't know what they allow to be configured per-SSID. But you might have something like a VLAN tag or a MAC blocklist applied to the GuestLAN SSIDs, and if that's not right it could block anything (not only an old Mac) from working usefully on that SSID.

And, I agree with you, about the Syno and Macs. I have had the Syno for about 5 years, through multiple Macs, and this is the first time I have been able to connect a Mac to one set of SSIDs (OurLan) but not the other (GuestLan).

Clear out the Wifi settings on the suspect Mac

I don't have any Mac computers, but I do have Synology RT2600ac in my downtown apartment and it's an excellent router. Never had any issues with any of my clients with it. The ISP line there is 300Mbps and this router is not going anywhere any time soon. It's R7800 hardware with better firmware.

i had issues previously with the type and level of encryption used and in the characters allowed for the password with a non apple based AP.

The fact that it works on one SSID but not the other seems to prove that it's got something to do with per-SSID settings, of which the WPA authentication level is the most obvious suspect. But if you are sure you backed down to WPA2-compatible auth, it's time to look at other settings. I don't know these Syno routers so I don't know what they allow to be configured per-SSID. But you might have something like a VLAN tag or a MAC blocklist applied to the GuestLAN SSIDs, and if that's not right it could block anything (not only an old Mac) from working usefully on that SSID.

Clear out the Wifi settings on the suspect Mac
I went to the lifewire article and followed the directions for

Reset Mac Network Settings: The Complicated Way​

but after a restart, the MBP continued to fail to connect to the non-guest networks

but after a restart, the MBP continued to fail to connect to the non-guest networks

I would reach out to Synology Tech Support then - you've done all the steps we've recommended, and it doesn't appear to have been successful.

Worst case is a visit to the Apple Genius Bar if Synology can't figure it out.

There is no way to sufficiently express my thanks for all the help that was offered by contributors to this thread. All I can do is to play it forward and offer help when I know the answer to the questions posed by others seeking technical assistance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!