What's new

FAQ's, Basics

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KillerApp

New Around Here
So I jumped in over my head, upgrading from the not so great powerline ethernet adapters to MOCA 2.0, to extend my internet into other parts of the house with descent speeds. The reviews looked great, and easy...so I jumped. I just moved into this house, and have no idea how it is wired, or how the coax is run, how old it is or how many splitters are used. I'm not getting good results, and on some coax locations, terrible results. I have Century link Fiber Optic GB internet, however, since it was installed only get about 540 Mbps. good enough for $65/month until we can figure it out. my Actiontec MOCA 2.0 bonded adapters are getting mixed results on different coax throughout the house. Testing them directly connected to each other with a 3 foot coax, I get the 540 Mbps. However, when I move the second one to different parts of the house, I get 100 mbps download at two different spots, and one location I get only 2 mbps download. At all of the locations though, I get 800 - 900 Mbps upload speed. It makes little sense to me how I could get 2 mbps download speed while simultaneously getting 800 Mbps upload speed, over the same coax. That doesn't seem like bad coax to me then, however, I don't know what I don't know. I'm finding very little information or help on this. If anyone could point me to the very basics FAQ's on Moca to help me along I would appreciate it. Thank you.

you need to -
1) map out the coax
2) identify the location of splitters and amps - model numbers, labels, etc
3) type of coax - rg59 or rg6

you may have a splitter that is heavily filtering in one direction - ie it is not bidirectional and/or moca 2 compatible.

then we have a chance of helping you.
these things have to be attacked logically, starting from the basics. Otherwise you are spitting into the wind.

What @degrub said. Plus MoCA adapter locations and where you have a “PoE” MoCA filter installed.

You’ll also want to look into how to read the MoCA statistics from a ECB6200, for help in diagnosing the health/efficiency of your MoCA setup.

If anyone could point me to the very basics FAQ's on Moca to help me along I would appreciate it.

Should probably be a FAQ sticky somewhere - challenge with MOCA - one it works, folks go radio-silent.

It's a community effort... but someone has to take the time to manage/update the FAQ

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!