What's new

Fast Router, Without Spy!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LondonVirus

New Around Here
Hi all,

I am new to the forum, have read lots of your threads, some of which have been helpful in the past, now I decided to join and ask my own question.

I have been looking far and wide for a router which has similar specs as the Asus Rog, but that does NOT have anything such as AIProtection, I don't like the idea of my data being sent out to third-party, I have purchased a GT-AC5300 some months ago, but as soon as I learned what the AIProtection was doing, I sent it back, it was "funny", because I have an account with ExpressVPN, and even once I had successfully setup the VPN client in the router, my data was being sent to Trend Micro before even going through the VPN, disabling the AIProtection options tuned off 50% of the router features, and since there are no custom firmware for it, as mentioned above, I just sent it back.

This was a shame, because the WiFi range was greatly improved, and the VPN worked great, considering that I have a 500Mbps cable connection at home, and the router's processor was able to keep up with the VPN encryption, and still deliver amazing speeds, this is why I am looking for a similar quad core high spec router, which supports VPN, with an inbuilt VPN client, expecially since soon I am due to upgrade my cable connection to a 1Gbps, and would like a router that can deal with it, while going through the VPN as well.

All I seem to find online is great routers that have some sort of security system such as AIProtection, this includes the top routers from Netgear and TP-Link.

Any advice is welcome ☺️

As you said yourself you could have turned off AIProtection if you were worried about it. So what functionality did you then lose which required you to send it back?

Well I brought it as a gaming router, and all the network prioritizing options for gaming etcetera were all off, stats, QoS and so on, as far as I remember all the fancy gaming features, which made the device cost double the usual price for spec were now all off

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!