What's new

Fastest router for wireguard?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sicess

New Around Here
Hello,

I have been researching for quite a while but still cannot make a decision on which router to buy keeping in mind that the most important criteria is internet speed when connected via wireguard.
I have done a bit of reading in this forum as well and found out I could use Merlin SW on AX88U to yield 600Mbps or AC68U to yield 400Mbps, but not much information on other routers (or probably not enough research) and their capabilities. I am looking to maximize the internet speed through wireguard running on router as well as Wi-Fi coverage for multiple devices and get other possible features like 2.5Gbps port or even 10Gbps port and 2.2 Ghz CPU on RT-AX89X (which unfortunately is dual-band only).
So I have just been looking around without deciding whether I should sacrifice 10Gbps to get tri-band, or there is more potential in that 10Gbps or should I go with 1.8 Ghz CPU on AX88U or 2.2 Ghz CPU on RT-AX89X.
Anyhow, maybe there are any other look worthy routers which would partially or fully tick the above mentioned checkmarks?

PS. Currently I am running an old Asus router with Wireguard installed on openwrt with 1Gbps ISP connection which only leaves me limited at around 50MBps.

The most bang for your bucks today is easily the RT-AX86U. Lowest latency router with processor specs identical or similar to other models but with a 2.5GbE Port too for further performance boost in certain cases.

I would be curious if anyone with this model using WG and the 2.5GbE port as the WAN is seeing any performance improvements?

The 2.2GHz processors are something I would like, but the 10GbE Port is very selective of what you connect it to on the RT-AX89X.

Tri-band (or how I read it; tri-radio, when it is not) is a gimmick on all current routers today.

I am hoping/waiting for 12 antennae, 12 streams, simultaneously Tri-Radio Wi-Fi 6E router available this summer or fall that gives everything 'triband' offers but fails at so hard today.

Can you wait till then? Or is the RT-AX86U enough router at the lowest price for you today? :)

And make sure you buy anything you're considering 'on sale'. Buying at regular prices just doesn't make sense for years now.