What's new

Fastest throughput dual wan router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thetnee

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. Currently using Cisco RV340 load balancing a 1gbps Viewqwest and 500mbps m1 connection.

Was all working fine until I added a 2nd torrent seedbox to the setup. A Synology NAS, on top of my Intel NUC seedbox.

Now cpu usage constantly hits 100% and my house internet goes on and off.

For full disclosure, this setup goes through to a Netgear Orbi RBK852 mesh wifi with 3 separate satellites

I love this cisco, if not for this 100% cpu usage issue, and the fact the overall throughput is limited at 933mbps, which defeats the purpose of load balancing 1.5gbps of WAN altogether.

I'd like to ask. What's the fastest dual wan router out there on the market now for my requirement? Hopefully with load balancing as well as I don't wanna "waste" my secondary WAN connection

Would it be the Unifi Dream Machine Pro? Or Edgerouter? Which model has better performance?

What are you running in the RV ?
you might be able to shift some of the load by using a layer 2 or 3 managed switch, vlans, and let the RV handle only the WAN. @coxhaus
@sfx2000

Search the threads here as this has been discussed several times recently - how to manage a full 1+ Gbit pipe. Or just browse then next 10 threads ! :)

What are you running in the RV ?
you might be able to shift some of the load by using a layer 2 or 3 managed switch, vlans, and let the RV handle only the WAN. @coxhaus
@sfx2000

Search the threads here as this has been discussed several times recently - how to manage a full 1+ Gbit pipe. Or just browse then next 10 threads ! :)
Apologies, I'm just running 2 seedboxes, not sure what you mean by what i'm running in the RV?

Firewall is on, but Threat/IPS is all off.
Logging is off.

Layer 2/3 managed switch - how would that work? any recommended models?

I would limit the number of connections on your torrent hosts. That is probably all you need to do - remember with Torrents, one doesn't want the slow death of really slow connections...

Each external torrent connection needs to be tracked on the NAT tables, so if unrestricted, you might be running out of memory.

Are you running across wireless with QoS? The wireless could be working against you as wireless is slow. It can cause you to load up buffers on the router due to slow speed.

Yes, there is a connection limit. You need to look it up. The bigger Cisco firewalls and routers support more connections. The Firepower 1010 firewall supports more connections.

PS
I would load the latest firmware on the Cisco RV340 router.

Last edited:
I would limit the number of connections on your torrent hosts. That is probably all you need to do - remember with Torrents, one doesn't want the slow death of really slow connections...

Each external torrent connection needs to be tracked on the NAT tables, so if unrestricted, you might be running out of memory.
Yea I actually dropped the number of total connections per torrent client from 2000 to 500. Seems to help a lot now. No more 100% cpu usage on the router. Any idea on a recommended number of connections setting?

I would say it is something in your network as the RV340 supports 20,000 to 30,000 connections I just don't remember I would have to look it up.

PS
NAT max sessions > 40,000

Last edited: