What's new

Favorite: Synology DS108J

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gdelano

New Around Here
As far as NASes go, I haven't had the chance to use many but one that definitely stood out to me was the DS108J by Synology. Not only was it $140 for the diskless NAS, it got tons of good reviews on newegg.com so I took the dive. Its been running strong for the last two months with a Hitachi 500GB. One very important feature of this NAS is that it has hard drive spin down.

NOTE:Hard Drive Spin Down enables the NAS to put the hard drive to "sleep" when its not being used to extend its life.

Performance wise, it wasn't fantastic, but I regularly saw transfer speeds of 4 MB/S. That's fine as long as I don't transfer huge files. Synology has another higher grade line which performs much better and I think I will be upgrading to.

Software, the DS108J come with backup software for WinXP and Vista, can't remember if it comes with a Mac version, but the software is pretty basic, and just does what its supposed to which is nice.

Features wise, it has lots of cool features but they were poorly executed. It has 3 usb ports for USB Flash Drives, External Hard Drive Expansions, or Even USB Audio Cards so the 108j can play music. UPNP media server, iTunes server, ftp access, web server, mysql and php add-ons.

Overall its a good NAS and very affordable. Just don't expect to use any of the features it comes with as they aren't too reliable, but the network drive is still very reliable.

Features wise, it has lots of cool features but they were poorly executed. It has 3 usb ports for USB Flash Drives, External Hard Drive Expansions, or Even USB Audio Cards so the 108j can play music. UPNP media server, iTunes server, ftp access, web server, mysql and php add-ons.
Hi gdelano:
I am not sure what you mean of "poorly executed" (any bugs or malfunctions you encountered?) . All these features are working well in all Synology series NAS. The difference is just the performace experienced by users.

Yeh, I haven't actually experienced too many bugs with synology products. Are you using the latest firmware?

Also... the DD-108j isn't particularly powerfull...so if you run many things simultaneoulsy on it, or it's accessed by a large number of users then you may experience some crashes.

Would you be able to give a more specific example?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!