What's new

Favorite:Thecus N5500

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CutePinkSox

New Around Here
My fave NAS so far based on 1 years use... 5x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB

Thecus N5500 BR PRO- excellent throughput 4 HD video streams without a glitch, Twonky runs a treat. NFS shares painful to setup but fast and as is FTP.

Averages 40-50 MBs write speed.
Good read speed approx 60-80MB per second

Clunky UI for software - setup and little messy and a few bugs that do eventually gets fixed through frimware updates.

Looks great in living room although, can be a little loud with fan.

Extra Modules like emule are not the easiest to run always but very doable even with limited knowlwdge.

CONS - Raid build takes forever 12 hours. And this unit has fallen over a few times in the year - perhaps 3 times - and I have had to rebuild the entire array! This could however be due to my personal setup and tweaking.

My fave NAS so far based on 1 years use... 5x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB

Thecus N5500 BR PRO- excellent throughput 4 HD video streams without a glitch, Twonky runs a treat. NFS shares painful to setup but fast and as is FTP.

Averages 40-50 MBs write speed.
Good read speed approx 60-80MB per second

Clunky UI for software - setup and little messy and a few bugs that do eventually gets fixed through frimware updates.

Looks great in living room although, can be a little loud with fan.

Extra Modules like emule are not the easiest to run always but very doable even with limited knowlwdge.

CONS - Raid build takes forever 12 hours. And this unit has fallen over a few times in the year - perhaps 3 times - and I have had to rebuild the entire array! This could however be due to my personal setup and tweaking.
Just wanna clarify something.
The product you're talking about should be Thecus N5200BR PRO.
N5500 is the brand new 5-bay NAS just released by Thecus this June.

I am thinking to buy the new Thecus N5500, but when I check the price it seems N7700 price is not that much higher. Should I go for N5500 with the new UI or spend a few more bucks and go for N7700?

If you think the extra bays are worth it, go for it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!