What's new

Fear and Loathing of the Cloud - Part 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Editor note: This discussion was originally part of this thread.

And L&LD, you can start your rant now; the product relies on processing in the cloud.

No rants required, but one more reason to disregard this 'solution'. 'Processing in the cloud' is equivalent to buying into a black box with a leash around your neck. When the company decides it isn't fun for them anymore and they throw those boxes into the proverbial ocean? Hope you can loosen that leash fast enough.

And yes, not to mention the control they will have over your data, privacy and internet habits (as they will have the keys to the front door of your digital home).

Last edited by a moderator:
L&LD: sorta looked like a rant to me :rolleyes:

Lol...

No, just logic. The question that I ask myself with 'portal' cloud-type 'solutions' is this; Is the 'portal' for my convenience or theirs?

No rants required, but one more reason to disregard this 'solution'. 'Processing in the cloud' is equivalent to buying into a black box with a leash around your neck. When the company decides it isn't fun for them anymore and they throw those boxes into the proverbial ocean? Hope you can loosen that leash fast enough.

And yes, not to mention the control they will have over your data, privacy and internet habits (as they will have the keys to the front door of your digital home).

We've had this argument before but as the cloud gets cheaper and cheaper, the business model you dislike so much is going to become more and more common.

It's very simple, they can monetize all of it. Your data, your internet habits, your privacy, even your peace of mind.

Studies are starting to come out showing that the average cloud-based "hook" service actually INCREASES the longevity of home media/networking devices, not the other way around. Sure you have the occasional company that simply closes its doors and disappears. That's not the rule though, that's the exception.

As I've told you before, you're entitled to your opinion. I just hope you can come to terms with the fact that your way of thinking is dying a slow death.

We've had this argument before but as the cloud gets cheaper and cheaper, the business model you dislike so much is going to become more and more common.

It's very simple, they can monetize all of it. Your data, your internet habits, your privacy, even your peace of mind.

Studies are starting to come out showing that the average cloud-based "hook" service actually INCREASES the longevity of home media/networking devices, not the other way around. Sure you have the occasional company that simply closes its doors and disappears. That's not the rule though, that's the exception.

As I've told you before, you're entitled to your opinion. I just hope you can come to terms with the fact that your way of thinking is dying a slow death.

The flaw in your reasoning is that the cloud is getting cheaper and cheaper. :eek:

I do not know one business that will extend those savings to the customer. As long as there are choices, dismissing the cloud is the smart thing to do. For businesses and for consumers alike.

Seeing that I work for one of the largest cloud providers in the United States and have worked on several projects that leverage the cloud for back office in ways that most consumers aren't even aware are "cloud", I can assure you it is getting cheaper and those savings are being passed on to customers, in multiple ways.

I'm not suggesting that dismissing the cloud is a bad thing at all. I don't personally use the cloud here at home. My information pretty much stays here and my storage and archiving is all local/near remote.

All I'm saying is that the days where that is possible are growing shorter and shorter.

Seeing that I work for one of the largest cloud providers in the United States and have worked on several projects that leverage the cloud for back office in ways that most consumers aren't even aware are "cloud", I can assure you it is getting cheaper and those savings are being passed on to customers, in multiple ways.

I'm not suggesting that dismissing the cloud is a bad thing at all. I don't personally use the cloud here at home. My information pretty much stays here and my storage and archiving is all local/near remote.

All I'm saying is that the days where that is possible are growing shorter and shorter.

As a customer myself, I do not see those savings at all. Nor do my customers either.

As long as we can buy a NAS, hdds and can live with our ISP speeds, using a cloud solution is a very poor attempt at minimizing risk and increasing benefits over the long term (very long term).

Just like you have made the decision to not use it for your personal use either, many businesses are making that same smart choice too.

Your missing the point.

There's too much upside for the providers. There's a reason why yesterday's ISPs are today's media companies. There's a reason why every major consumer NAS and router vendor now has cloud backup options and cloud sharing options and cloud VPN mesh options.

The savings ARE being passed on. Just because you're not aware of it doesn't mean you're not benefiting.

There will come a day when providers cease to offer that choice, it's that simple.

Your missing the point.

There's too much upside for the providers. There's a reason why yesterday's ISPs are today's media companies. There's a reason why every major consumer NAS and router vendor now has cloud backup options and cloud sharing options and cloud VPN mesh options.

The savings ARE being passed on. Just because you're not aware of it doesn't mean you're not benefiting.

There will come a day when providers cease to offer that choice, it's that simple.

When hdd's or other large capacity storage medium is not available for me to use independently I won't care, because I won't be around anymore.

When I could buy a piece of hardware and a piece of software and have it do what I need until I lost access to either of them, that was the cheapest form of computing in the long run. And some of those solutions lasted more than two decades or more.

I am aware that the savings nor the benefits are there because I know what I can do without them.

Nickel and diming customers (like the banks tried to do) for every tiny service is not a savings for anyone. The tracking, detailing and billing, while all done with simple scripts, is not how I want to mortgage my future with small monthly payments to 50 or more different vendors each month.

My way of thinking is very clear. :)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2497176,00.asp

Other minds sharper than mine are just as doubtful of cloud becoming anything useful anytime soon.

Money is from the enterprise, not social networking. Just ask Microsoft.
Enterprise Fortune 1000 want to own their data. Protect their data. Protect their clients' data (e.g., HIPAA, FIPS 140).
I'll try to one-up head cranky geek: Cloud computing is like womens' fashion, hairdoo's, home decorating: They are manipulated every few years to regenerate revenue streams. Mainframe->desktop PCs->cloud (a.k.a. mainframe) just moved slower.

FWIW - things that many think are "monolithic" servers - they're pretty much in the cloud these days...

All the cool kids, and when I say that - the big players - app space, networks, etc...

They're all very cloud oriented these days - some are private... some are public...

Is what it is...

Money is from the enterprise, not social networking. Just ask Microsoft.
Enterprise Fortune 1000 want to own their data. Protect their data. Protect their clients' data (e.g., HIPAA, FIPS 140).
I'll try to one-up head cranky geek: Cloud computing is like womens' fashion, hairdoo's, home decorating: They are manipulated every few years to regenerate revenue streams. Mainframe->desktop PCs->cloud (a.k.a. mainframe) just moved slower.

In the past 3 years I've worked on projects for 4 of the Fortune 10's and 14 of the Fortune 50's. I'm now working on stuff for the Fed.

Without divulging anything proprietary, ALL of them are using "the cloud". That's 100%.

In the past 3 years I've worked on projects for 4 of the Fortune 10's and 14 of the Fortune 50's. I'm now working on stuff for the Fed.

Without divulging anything proprietary, ALL of them are using "the cloud". That's 100%.

Yes. They can. After all, they're the ones that want to control everything in the end anyway, right? :)

They want money. If control gets them that, then they want that too.

Hardware is a dead business. There isn't any profit anymore. The whole concept of boxes is now called "SRE" - service-related equipment. They only sell devices to facilitate services which can not only be monetized but at a high margin.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!