What's new

connmon Feature request. Email when internet connection is restored.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

donat76

New Around Here
Obviously it can't email from the router when the connection goes down but is there a way to set it up to queue an email to send when the connection is restored with the downtime included and last successful ping test time.

I have it set to email when the "quality" drops below 50%. Doesn't work that way. I'm running it for 60 seconds every 2 minutes. Otherwise I get lock file issues. I'd like to run it nonstop if that's possible without the lock file issue every 30 minutes when it's saving the database(?) file.

Am I missing something?

I have it set up on my parents router because their ISP is flakey and it would be nice to know connection status in (almost) real time.

Can't access the internal web page of the router remotely because it's double NAT'ed behind the ISP's locked down cable modem. (no access to GUI or settings and they charge to $15 a month to enable WiFi) That in a nutshell is my problem.

Thank you!

Obviously it can't email from the router when the connection goes down but is there a way to set it up to queue an email to send when the connection is restored with the downtime included and last successful ping test time.

I have it set to email when the "quality" drops below 50%. Doesn't work that way. I'm running it for 60 seconds every 2 minutes. Otherwise I get lock file issues. I'd like to run it nonstop if that's possible without the lock file issue every 30 minutes when it's saving the database(?) file.

Am I missing something?

I have it set up on my parents router because their ISP is flakey and it would be nice to know connection status in (almost) real time.

Can't access the internal web page of the router remotely because it's double NAT'ed behind the ISP's locked down cable modem. (no access to GUI or settings and they charge to $15 a month to enable WiFi) That in a nutshell is my problem.

Thank you!
this sort of notification is on my "to-do". for now, to resolve the locking issue you can try commenting out Check_Lock in the script near the bottom as shown below:
Code:
generate)
        NTP_Ready
        Entware_Ready
        #Check_Lock
        Run_PingTest
        #Clear_Lock
        exit 0
    ;;
Note you will need to make this change whenever there is a script update, and amtm and connmon will show a minor/hotfix if you check for updates

Thank you! That would be a nice feature.

Does the lock file warning mean it's not saving properly to it's database file and isn't able to modify that file every 30 minutes when it saves from RAM (temporary) to file (permanent) storage or is it just basically a debug message that can be safely ignored and commented out.

I figured it wasn't saving correctly? If it is actually saving correctly, I should be able to run nonstop with a 60 second test every 1 minute without a real issue? I'm sorry to bother but it would be useful to run it nonstop to catch quick connection drops. They do a lot of 6 to 10GB video uploads to Facebook and if the connection glitches, it just hangs without any notice we're wasting our time. Trying to pin it on the ISP so they actually fix it because it's always working when a tech stops (of course). Thanks again!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!