What's new

Feature Request - IPSec/L2TP VPN Support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davewolfs

Regular Contributor
Hello all,

OpenVPN works great but unfortunately it cannot be used on IOS devices. With that said, IOS devices can only use PPTP with the Asus router (as far as I know). Would it be possible to roll in VPN servers which support the IPSec/L2TP protocols?

Thanks!

Hello all,

OpenVPN works great but unfortunately it cannot be used on IOS devices. With that said, IOS devices can only use PPTP with the Asus router (as far as I know). Would it be possible to roll in VPN servers which support the IPSec/L2TP protocols?

Thanks!

No plan to.

You can probably manually install and configure IPSEC through Optware/Entware however.

Any tutorials on how to do this?

Not that I know of. Do a search for Optware and IPSec, see what comes up. I only know that one user posted months ago on the Asus forums that he was able to get it to work.

I can't remember where it was discussed since that was back last spring. Look for a thread that talks about StrongSwan, however the person didn't mention how he configured it, only that he was able to make it work.
Here, but some kernel modules is needed.

Any chance of putting together something that shows how to get this setup? I'm surprised that there isn't more info on this. Is there a reason why people aren't commonly setting up IPSec?

I guess it is because IPSEC is often a pain to get working. It did not work well with NAT until the NAT-T standard emerged since it requires IP protocol 50 to be passed between the gateways. Second, it's often hard to set up due to very basic tools and a complicated protocol (getting two gateways to authenticate towards each other is no guarantee that you can route trafic between subnets across the IPSEC tunnel).

I have connected numerous networks via IPSEC tunnels in the past 10 years, and for that purpose it works well. For roaming users wishing to connect back to their home network it's a pain and rarely works well. I was thrilled when OpenVPN emerged as an alternative for that kind of setup :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!