What's new

Feature Request: ISO-8859-1 for FTP server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tobias N

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm using my ASUS RT-N66U router with an external hard drive for backup. Unfortunately, the backup software only uses ISO-8859-1 for FTP transfer, which creates problems with German umlauts in file names. Would it be possible to add ISO-8859-1 to the FTP options?

Kind regards,
Tobias

What problem are you seeing? The filenames will look strange when logged on to the router because it uses UTF-8. But they should still look OK from your backup software.

P.S. Maybe you should inform the makers of your backup software that ISO-8859-1 is not a valid character set for FTP.;) Only 7-bit ASCII and UTF-8 are officially supported.

The backup software fails to upload files with umlauts. I agree that the backup software should use UTF-8, but that doesn't solve my problem :) I contacted the maker, though.

I was hopping, since there are some other character sets available in FTP options, it would be easy to add this one as well :)

Actually, thinking about this a bit more... I can imagine why you would have problems with those characters. For example ü (FC) would be interpreted as the beginning of a 6 byte sequence.

Unfortunately this doesn't help you. The router uses vsftpd and you can change its options in anyway you like. But there is no option to use ISO-8859-1 because it's not part of the FTP standard.:(

Looking at those FTP options in the GUI, they mostly change the "remote_charset" parameter which as far as I understand it only effects the character translations in ASCII mode. However, setting it to something other than UTF-8 also sets "enable_iconv" which I think applies to the file names rather than the contents.

Try setting it to Russian and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!