What's new

[Feature Request] Make it easier to copy the MAC addresses of the Time Scheduling page

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yota

Very Senior Member
I don't know when it was broken, maybe since 386, I can't copy anything from this page (http://192.168.50.1/ParentalControl.asp ), I'm using Firefox on desktop.

Some copyrighted sites usually use JavaScript to prohibit copying of text content, but I don't understand why routers are blocking it under this page.

I've used browser extensions as a mitigation in the past, but as I started moving to mobile platforms, it became harder and harder to implement.

Under that page, I have about 10-15 IoT devices banned, and some obsolete computers disconnected from the internet forever. When updating a router, I usually do everything all over again, so I need to copy my old settings to a text file and then re-enter them after a reset, but this page hasn't allowed me to do that in ages.

So, can RMerlin remove the copy protection code on this page?

Thank you and happy holidays.

Last edited:
Just tested a fresh install (without any extensions and add-ons) of Chrome 108.0.5359.124/.125 and Firefox 108.0.1, neither of them can select text on that page and copy.

Same on MacOS and Ubuntu, but strangely it works on my phone, I don't know why.

Last edited:
Can confirm the same on an RT-AC68U running 386.9_alpha1 using Brave browser. On the Parental Controls > Web & Apps Filter page, can select text on page. Move to the Time Scheduling page, nothing is selectable with mouse. Not even a Windows CTRL +A (select all) works to select contents.

Can confirm the same on an RT-AC68U running 386.9_alpha1 using Brave browser. On the Parental Controls > Web & Apps Filter page, can select text on page. Move to the Time Scheduling page, nothing is selectable with mouse. Not even a Windows CTRL +A (select all) works to select contents.
This has been affecting me for a long time, I think it was introduced by Asus after a major update to AiProtection, but for a long time my browser has extensions installed that "break" this copy protection, so I don't care about it.

But now maybe it's time to fix it, since I can no longer use such extensions.

I've never understood why Asus or Trend Micro need to enable "copy protection" on this page, none of the text here is copyrighted, it's not a fiction or comics site.

I can't copy anything from this page

Click on the device icon, copy the MAC address:

1671386708840.png

Does it work as a workaround? It works on Chrome. I don't have Firefox to test with.

Click on the device icon, copy the MAC address:

Does it work as a workaround? It works on Chrome. I don't have Firefox to test with.
Thanks, it works, but when there are many devices, it is more convenient to copy after selecting all. I know that selecting all may copy redundant or irrelevant content, but I'm not worried because I will copy the correct mac address next time I enter it.

There is also an easy way to export that list via nvram, but none of this changes the fact that the page cannot be selected and copied.

I can probably copy/paste 10x MAC addresses in less than 1 minute time using the workaround above. Not a big issue.
On the DHCP page, I can select and copy all the mac addresses (about 50) in 2-5 seconds, then paste them into the empty text ;)

Probably I'm the biggest believer in "reset after every update, and enter everything in manually", I always thought it would be noticed and fixed in the next version.

But there have been many versions, it has never been noticed by others, and now I feel alone, maybe I am the only believer.

So I don't see it as a bug at all, (I made this thread as a feature request rather than a bug feedback), I just feel alone. :(

With 50+ clients and perhaps more coming you may need to look at something better than AIO home router.

With 50+ clients and perhaps more coming you may need to look at something better than AIO home router.
I don't have 50+ devices online at the same time, I just have so many mac addresses, and I like to label them, very much. such as my computers, usually each will have three mac addresses, a private mac address, a real mac address, and an ethernet mac address, even more privacy addresses when connecting to different guest networks. and of course there are some obsolete devices that I left in the basement, and I'm not even sure if they even turn on.

But there do have 20+ iot devices online 24/7, but I'm absolutely sure the current router can handle them since they consume almost no network bandwidth.

Replace all when possible. :)
Thanks, although most of my major devices, such as mobile phones or computers, already support wifi 6, I have no plans to upgrade to wifi 6 routers because I don't see the motivation to upgrade. I know you've pointed out the poor thermal design of these models many times, but I'd wait for them to die before replacing them.

I only have simple streaming needs here, no games or heavy downloads, so everything just fine.

One possible motivation is firmware development. None of AC routers will see 388 firmware. Eventual security fixes on 386 only.

One possible motivation is firmware development. None of AC routers will see 388 firmware. Eventual security fixes on 386 only.
I honestly don't really care much about the 388, of course I appreciate asus for these exciting features, but I care more about security and if security updates are still available there then I'll stay here.

I've actually been using firefox ESR all the time, and for posting this thread, I installed the latest firefox and chrome on a ubuntu vm and a macbook to rule out that the problem wasn't from my outdated software.

I'm tired of new features, which is one of the reasons I don't like chrome, it's always updated, and I just want to stay on some stable version for now and get security updates for as long as possible.

If one day the AC86 died, or stopped getting security updates, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!