What's new

Feature request - radio scheduling

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rk2384

New Around Here
Great piece of software so far. I've had an AC66U now for almost a year and was missing a lot of features from Asus's original firmware.

One thing I'd like to see is to have more fine grained radio scheduling. For instance, I'd like to have the radio off between maybe 8am and 4pm. Currently, you can only enable it between certain hours, rather than disable it. Maybe I can set up a cron job to turn the radio on and off?

I know some other router company on their web interface lets you check a box on or off for every hour of every day of the week to enable and disable wireless. That might be a little overkill, but we need more than just a time range to enable wifi.

Thanks for the reply Anthony, but that's just the regular wireless scheduler builtin. That just lets you set a time when the radio is enabled. I would like to enable the radio all the time except for a period during the day. This won't let you do that.

You could indeed implement this using cron jobs. Use the "radio off" and "radio on" commands for this.

Cool. Is there documentation on the commands available, or is that all in the source code?

I see most of the commands, including radio, in /sbin are linked to the rc command and then there's a handful of commands in /bin. Where do I find out what the commands do and what arguments they take? I searched around and couldn't find anything. I think information like this should be a sticky post. I'd be willing to help put something together.

There's no documentation since most of these are actually intended for internal use by the firmware itself, not by the end-user. You have to dig through the source code to figure out what's available and how reliable these commands are (since some of them might change at any time).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!