What's new

Feedback re: Linksys MR9000 vs Asus RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jontalk

Having recently moved to a larger living space, I'm finding the RT-AC68P lacks the range needed. While searching for the RT-AC86U which states it supports WiFi 6, I came across the Linksys MR-9000 and most of the reviews are good. That said, I've always found the Asus WRT UI friendly and full featured though from what I've seen, the Linksys can only be managed with a phone app.

I'm interested in knowing if the Linksys will deliver the power and range and if the app includes some or all of the Asus WRT features. Thanks.

Having recently moved to a larger living space, I'm finding the RT-AC68P lacks the range needed. While searching for the RT-AC86U which states it supports WiFi 6, I came across the Linksys MR-9000 and most of the reviews are good. That said, I've always found the Asus WRT UI friendly and full featured though from what I've seen, the Linksys can only be managed with a phone app.

I'm interested in knowing if the Linksys will deliver the power and range and if the app includes some or all of the Asus WRT features. Thanks.
AC86U is a WIFI 5 router and mostly not recommended today. AX86U/S yes!
The Linksys is also a WIFI 5 router though tri band. Linksys firmware is usually quite primitive but functional.

Last edited:
AC86U is a WIFI 5 router and mostly not recommended today. AX86U/S yes!
The Linksys is also a WIFI 5 router though tri band. Linksys firmware is usually quite primitive but functional.
thanks so much..After chatting with a Linksys owner, its clear Asus is superior. BTW the Asus spec page for the AC-86U states it DOES support WiFi 6 :)

This router has history of hardware issues and has present software issues as well. Better go with AX86S model, if the budget allows.
Are you referring to the AC-86U or the LInksys? I notice you own an AC-86U in your signature. I decided against the Linksys too :) Thanks

Do you have a link for that AC86U spec page?

OE
The spec page doesn't state WiFi 6 support but when reading comparison views, many said it does. Regardless, it appears its the better choice between the two and FAR more affordable than the AX86 too :)

The spec page doesn't state WiFi 6 support

Because the AC86U is WiFi5, not WiFi6/ax. Why did you say the ASUS spec page states "DOES support WiFi 6" when it doesn't... who's asking for feedback here?

but when reading comparison views, many said it does.

More misinformation.

OE

Last edited:
P.S. This list of high ranking reviews shows most feel its worth buying: t.ly/tdzi

I've bought and installed 8 of them, 4 on my network, 3 of which failed at around 24 months (don't know about the other ones), only 1 replaced under warranty for $25 shipping.

Unless the AC86U has been re-engineered to prevent failure, it's not worth buying at this time.

OE

I've bought and installed 8 of them, 4 on my network, 3 of which failed at around 24 months (don't know about the other ones), only 1 replaced under warranty for $25 shipping.

Unless the AC86U has been re-engineered to prevent failure, it's not worth buying at this time.

OE
Wow...that's REALLY good to know.. THANK YOU!! How do you feel about the RT-AX56U? Since its a WiFi 6 router, and more affordable, would it be a better choice?

Wow...that's REALLY good to know.. THANK YOU!! How do you feel about the RT-AX56U? Since its a WiFi 6 router, and more affordable, would it be a better choice?

Sorry, I can't speak to routers I have not used. In general, I feel there are too many models and the cheaper ones can leave you wanting. If you want WiFi6, consider the AX86U/S. And read around here for opinions on other models... the AX56U is discussed somewhere here.

OE

Sorry, I can't speak to routers I have not used. In general, I feel there are too many models and the cheaper ones can leave you wanting. If you want WiFi6, consider the AX86U/S. And read around here for opinions on other models... the AX56U is discussed somewhere here.

OE
Thanks..I appreciate the advice!

Push the boat out on this one, you won't regret buying a AX86U/S/Pro.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!