1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Feeling stupid and frustrated ...

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Piero Brewer, May 18, 2019.

1. Piero Brewer

Piero Brewer Occasional Visitor

UPDATE: finally resolved this. Turned out my ESET security software was blocking access to the ASUS router web server bits. Once I turned off the firewall and web security on my laptop I was able to access the web pages just fine. THIS had never happened before!

I am having problems accessing the configuration web pages. I can get to the login banner, log in but then either a partial home page for the admin user appears or it times out with no page at all ...

I have tried resetting, restoring firmware, all sorts of things but nothing. So, now for the stupidity ...
    I don't know how but I have this problem with a brand new RT-AX88U? Plus my BRT-AC828 exhibits it in addition to my RT-AC88U ...

I have a record of my systems being invaded/attacked (Trend Micro) by Yandex LLC a Russian ISP working with the FSB (address: 77.88.8.88 host address) perhaps because I informed the general public on Wikilleak's FB page that their web server was living on one of Yandex's servers in St. Petersburg.

But three? And I tried to attachto/bring up the RT-AX88u before connecting it to the Internet as I planned to swap it with the RT-AC88U and reuse it in an AIMesh. No web pages available over ethernet from my laptop in any of the cases! Wired exclusively or wireless? I think I shot myself in the foot ... thought it was a static route I tried to add ... but I did route flush, etc.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I would deeply appreciate any help offered!

Thank you very much in advance,
    Peter Brewer

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  2. adampk17

adampk17 Regular Contributor

Try a different browser?

3. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

The router's httpd has a lot of problems handling https, often resulting in half-loaded pages. Doing a shift-reload usually clears up the issue.

I have no idea why that's the case, it's just been happening for years, and I'm not familiar enough with socket code and TLS to troubleshoot the root cause.

4. Piero Brewer

Yep, tried 3 browsers, same basic result.

adampk17 likes this.
  5. Piero Brewer

Tried that too ... by why suddenly now? Out of the blue?

6. Piero Brewer

Thank you for the info!