What's new

AdGuardHome Few questions about AdGuard Home Install Script

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ImGettingTooOldForThis

Occasional Visitor
Can someone help me understand what the questions below by the installer script mean?

Code:
=>  Do you want to redirect all DNS resolutions on your network through to AdGuardHome? [y/n]: y
 Info:  You can choose to keep any custom dnsfilter values by only redirect non-custom traffic or send all traffic through to AdGuardHome.
 =>  Do you want to redirect only NON-CUSTOM DNS resolutions on your network through to AdGuardHome? [y/n]: n
 Info:  DNS is set to redirect All DNS resolutions through to AdGuardHome.
 =>  Do you want to run AdGuardHome as a local caching DNS service which includes router traffic? [y/n]: y

I’m not sure I fully understand them and hope that I have it enterted them correctly. All seems to work fine, I just want your opinion. I have AdGuard VPN and DNS as well, I’m using my ‘private’ (device-bound) DNS-servers as upstream DNS-servers and the public ones as bootstrap. I don’t fully understand what is meant by NON-CUSTOM DNS, and I’m not sure why the script asks me whether I want it to handle all DNS requests (as local clients still seem to be handled by dnsmasq) and why would or wouldn’t I want AdGuard Home to function as local cache? This will only speed up DNS-queries, right? And lastly, optimistic caching is disabled by default, can anyone shed some light on that? I assume that it improves speed unless it queries and expired address and has to request an upstream server anyway. But how big are the odds that that happens?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Marco

The setting make you able to use dns-director in router gui, those will not be forced to use adguard home

Thanks for your reply. Which setting do you mean? I already have DNS Director enabled pointing to the router itself, DNS 1 contains the routers local IP. I just don’t quite understand what the settings I posted previously exactly mean (what are NON-custom DNS-queries for example?) and whether optimised caching is something I would benefit of, or it would slow things down, as it isn’t enabled by default.

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow can explain better.
The second question in the install script can disable(change nvram values for dns-director) specific client (if used) and make them use adguardhome depending on the Y/N answer.

What router model?
AGH is running on my RT-AC86U with a very basic setup. I will add that to my signature, as I had with my previous accounts. I had Unbound installed, but ran into some issues. As I skipped several of Merlin’s versions, I will make a fresh start some time soon to start from scratch.

Best regards,
Marco

This router has unresolved software bug affecting some user scripts.

It also has common hardware issues. Hopefully yours is a good unit.

This router has unresolved software bug affecting some user scripts.

It also has common hardware issues. Hopefully yours is a good unit.

Good to know about the unresolved bugs.

As for the other thread you quoted, I found previous posts of (at least) two of my previous accounts, to which I no longer have access. Including some posts of you lecturing me about shopping lists and my overpriced (Noctua) solution 😜 However, she’s still going strong… good to see you’re still around @Tech9!

Best regards,
Marco

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

Would you be so kind to assist me (see 1st post). Because I'm just unsure whether I configured the installer for AGH correctly and I can't find answers to my questions using Better Search.

I want all DNS queries to go through AGH (does that mean that even if a device has hard-coded DNS, they will be re-routed?), so I assume the 1st question should be answered Yes? Local client resolution seems to stay working, so dnsmasq is still functional I assume (using YazDHCP).
I have DNS Director set to point solely at the main router itself, so I assume that what you meant by custom dnsfilter has been disabled that way? Syslog however says dnsmasq is ignoring 192.168.1.1:

Code:
Apr 19 07:38:02 dnsmasq[2266]: ignoring nameserver 192.168.1.1 - local interface

What is meant by NON-Custom DNS queries? As mention above, I want all DNS queries to go through AGH, so what should I answer at the second question?

Lastly, following the advice of @Tech9 i've reconfigured AGH upon installing the most recent binary update and change the setting for local caching to 'No'.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Marco

Lastly, following the advice of @Tech9 i've reconfigured AGH upon installing the most recent binary update and change the setting for local caching to 'No'.

I just noticed that syslog even after reconfiguration still says:

Code:
Apr 19 11:54:52 AdGuardHome[4880]: 2023/04/19 11:54:52.535805 [info] dnsproxy: cache: enabled, size 4096 b

even though I disabled the cache and the Adguard Home Web UI shows an empty field?

I just noticed that syslog even after reconfiguration still says:

Code:
Apr 19 11:54:52 AdGuardHome[4880]: 2023/04/19 11:54:52.535805 [info] dnsproxy: cache: enabled, size 4096 b

even though I disabled the cache and the Adguard Home Web UI shows an empty field?
It probably runs similar to pihole where a small sliver of the cache remains active for adblocking purposes. You need cache for adboocking otherwise every single time you run into an ad, it would have to perform those delayed blocking actions over and over again which would significantly slow you query time down. I imagine you can't disable 100 percent of the cache, only the portion reserved for nonblocked transactions.

It probably runs similar to pihole where a small sliver of the cache remains active for adblocking purposes. You need cache for adboocking otherwise every single time you run into an ad, it would have to perform those delayed blocking actions over and over again which would significantly slow you query time down. I imagine you can't disable 100 percent of the cache, only the portion reserved for nonblocked transactions.
Me personally, I would never disable the cache.

Okay, will re-enable the cache then. Thanks for clarifying. Would you be so kind to answer the previous question(s) too?

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Marco
Yep here is my answer to your "other questions".

Also, please feel free to use these threads to see if your questions have already been answered.

Don't know how I've managed not to have found this using 'Better' Search... *walks in shame.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Will ask any further questions there.

Best regards,
Marco

Don't know how I've managed not to have found this using 'Better' Search... *walks in shame.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Will ask any further questions there.

Best regards,
Marco
All I did was search for how many times I talked about dnsfilter

1681910946591.png

1681911065480.png

It should also be noted that "DNSFilter" is now known as "DNS Director".

Only when you use Unbound. It caches the DNS requests already. Works better with AGH cache disabled. If you use AGH only - keep the default 4MB cache enabled. Don't go crazy with blocklists - your router will start running low on RAM. Use AGH responsibly. :)

Only when you use Unbound. It caches the DNS requests already. Works better with AGH cache disabled. If you use AGH only - keep the default 4MB cache enabled. Don't go crazy with blocklists - your router will start running low on RAM. Use AGH responsibly. :)
Tbh disabling adguardhomes cache actually can negatively impact its performance in some cases. I would not advise disabling it for this reason. Now there is nothing wrong with adjusting the size of it down to a smaller amount and reducing the time to live overrides on queries done to adguardhome so unbound cache gets used more in the interim.

Once Unbound builds the cache AGH is fed with under 1ms responses. With or without middle cache the result is the same. Middle cache because the browsers keep DNS cache as well. If there is a difference - not easily user measurable.

I’ve run it in all configurations and the fastest all the time was Google upstream and AGH with its cache enabled. Nothing beats big public DNS servers cache. Google, OpenDNS and Cloudflare are the fastest in my area.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!