What's new

Few simple questions before buying RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jeri

New Around Here
I am planning on buying an Asus RT-AX86U.

My wishes are:
1. To be able to run a VPN service like Express or Nord VPN on a specific VLAN and SSID so when connecting to for example SSID called "VPN Secure", those devices go through Nord VPN.
2. Be able to block in- and outbound traffic to different countries, like you can on a Unifi Dream Machine.

Is this possible without changing from Asus stock fw to Merlin fw? Is it possible with Merlin fw?

Neither of those features are available in stock firmware. It is possible with user scripts in Merlin's firmware (YazFi and Skynet).

There is a beta firmware for the RT-AX86_Pro and supposedly has VPN WiFi support.

I am planning on buying an Asus RT-AX86U.

My wishes are:
1. To be able to run a VPN service like Express or Nord VPN on a specific VLAN and SSID so when connecting to for example SSID called "VPN Secure", those devices go through Nord VPN.
2. Be able to block in- and outbound traffic to different countries, like you can on a Unifi Dream Machine.

Is this possible without changing from Asus stock fw to Merlin fw? Is it possible with Merlin fw?
As Colin mentioned, there is a new beta firmware from ASUS for both the AX-86U Pro and the GT-AX6000 that has this feature, see the changelog, it has exactly what you need:
New Features:
1. Add Guest Network Pro:
• Kids WiFi: Create a network for kids that blocks access to adult content and has a schedule to control when the network is available.
• VPN WiFi: Create a VPN network that connects to 3rd party VPN services or with ASUS site to site VPN(https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1048281/) to encrypts your internet connection and hides your IP address to protect your online activities from being tracked or monitored.
• IoT WiFi : Create an IoT (Internet of Things) network that blocks malicious traffic* and only allows 2.4GHz devices to connect.
• Guest WiFi: Create a guest network with a WiFi schedule and access rights to control when and how guests can use the network.
2. Add VLAN in LAN settings.
3. Add Auto USB WAN backup, while primary WAN is down, plug USB phone/dongle will auto enable backup internet, no setup is required.
4. Add iPhone USB tethering. (Please make sure hotspot on iPhone is enabled).
5. Add Multi-services WAN, create multiple profiles on a single WAN interface.

Neither of those features are available in stock firmware. It is possible with user scripts in Merlin's firmware (YazFi and Skynet).

There is a beta firmware for the RT-AX86_Pro and supposedly has VPN WiFi support.
Thanks Colin. If I flash Merlin immediately after buying this router, will it have a working firewal from scratch just like the Asus stock or would I have to configure a lot to make it just as safe as the stock? Thinking of firewall that is.

Thanks Colin. If I flash Merlin immediately after buying this router, will it have a working firewal from scratch just like the Asus stock or would I have to configure a lot to make it just as safe as the stock? Thinking of firewall that is.
After flashing Merlin for the first time, do an initial factory reset just for peace of mind. By default it will have the same functionality as stock firmware.

As Colin mentioned, there is a new beta firmware from ASUS for both the AX-86U Pro and the GT-AX6000 that has this feature, see the changelog, it has exactly what you need:
Ah, thanks. But that is for the Pro model then? It's a bit more expensive though. When searching Youtube for AX-86U and VPN it seems like it is possible with stock? (Meaning VPN, not country block)

When searching Youtube for AX-86U and VPN it seems like it is possible with stock? (Meaning VPN, not country block)
No, not with stock firmware. It cannot differentiate based on SSID. .... Unless something has changed recently. Do you have a link to the video in question?

Ah, thanks. But that is for the Pro model then? It's a bit more expensive though. When searching Youtube for AX-86U and VPN it seems like it is possible with stock? (Meaning VPN, not country block)
but the GT-AX6000 is not the PRO model and it has the same CPU as the AX-86U Pro + Dual 2.5GB PORT for WAN/LAN and it has that feature that you want to create a separate SSID just for the VPN

Hey all, I just bought AX86U but it keeps failing when I flashed the latest firmware. Does anyone know what I need to do to troubleshoot? My current stock firmware is 3.0.0.4.388_22068-gf3adbcd

I was trying to flash this version of Merlin.
6392ed8eb8b569887ed74ced1de131b82aae2012d5b47fe3d4d93be06017d694 RT-AX86U_388.1_0_pureubi.w

Hey all, I just bought AX86U but it keeps failing when I flashed the latest firmware. Does anyone know what I need to do to troubleshoot? My current stock firmware is 3.0.0.4.388_22068-gf3adbcd

I was trying to flash this version of Merlin.
6392ed8eb8b569887ed74ced1de131b82aae2012d5b47fe3d4d93be06017d694 RT-AX86U_388.1_0_pureubi.w
Maybe you did like me, I first flashed Merlin for AX68 which failed. I also bought AX86, but mixed 68 and 86 :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!