1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

fiber cabling in house

Discussion in 'Switches, NICs and cabling' started by Gar, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Gar

Gar Senior Member

I'm changing to fiber and wondering what type of connector I will see inside the house on the wall. Not some crazy, proprietary type I hope. RJ-45?

2. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede Regular Contributor

RJ45 is only for copper Ethernet.

I take it what you mean to say is that you're getting fibre based internet access?
    The connector in your home could be a wide range of different types depending on the infrastructure your service provider uses.

My parents have an RJ45 port, but they have fiber to the building and then Ethernet from there.
    I previously had FTTx which was a "crazy proprietary" connector that required a fibre to Ethernet converter to which the router and even phones connected.
    Some companies provide a gateway which incorporates the fibre to Ethernet converter, a router, a switch, a Wi-Fi AP etc. which you'd use to access the internet through.

In reality, you shouldn't have to worry about it, as you'll most likely end up with an RJ45 port somewhere to make it easy to connect to your current devices.

royarcher and Gar like this.
  3. pege63

pege63 Very Senior Member

It can look like this solution.

upload_2019-8-14_11-52-27.png

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Gar and TheLostSwede like this.
  4. Gar

Gar Senior Member

It's been installed but I'm working through buffering and stuttering issues. Fortunately, I have this on trial.

Can the fibre cable be disconnected so I can move the modem to other locations? Research gives me every possible response from "don't touch it, have it done!" to "just keep it capped so it stays clean".

5. pege63

pege63 Very Senior Member

Take a picture of your equipment and we'll see what it looks like or just draw a picture.
    Is the fiber cable connectd to the modem or wath and how its connected?