What's new

fiber cabling in house

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gar

Very Senior Member
I'm changing to fiber and wondering what type of connector I will see inside the house on the wall. Not some crazy, proprietary type I hope. RJ-45?

RJ45 is only for copper Ethernet.

I take it what you mean to say is that you're getting fibre based internet access?
The connector in your home could be a wide range of different types depending on the infrastructure your service provider uses.

My parents have an RJ45 port, but they have fiber to the building and then Ethernet from there.
I previously had FTTx which was a "crazy proprietary" connector that required a fibre to Ethernet converter to which the router and even phones connected.
Some companies provide a gateway which incorporates the fibre to Ethernet converter, a router, a switch, a Wi-Fi AP etc. which you'd use to access the internet through.

In reality, you shouldn't have to worry about it, as you'll most likely end up with an RJ45 port somewhere to make it easy to connect to your current devices.

It can look like this solution.

upload_2019-8-14_11-52-27.png

Last edited:
It's been installed but I'm working through buffering and stuttering issues. Fortunately, I have this on trial.

Can the fibre cable be disconnected so I can move the modem to other locations? Research gives me every possible response from "don't touch it, have it done!" to "just keep it capped so it stays clean".

It's been installed but I'm working through buffering and stuttering issues. Fortunately, I have this on trial.

Can the fibre cable be disconnected so I can move the modem to other locations? Research gives me every possible response from "don't touch it, have it done!" to "just keep it capped so it stays clean".

Take a picture of your equipment and we'll see what it looks like or just draw a picture.
Is the fiber cable connectd to the modem or wath and how its connected?