What's new

Fiber optic wire at house hub question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Island

Regular Contributor
Hope this is the right section to post my question? I was outside today and had the panel off just checking my gateway and its UPS power backup, when I noticed this orange wire sticking out of the little round protector that houses the Fiber optic cable that comes into my outdoor wall panel from the street.

My fiber optic cable has 2 wires, a blue and an orange wire. The blue wire becomes jacketed with a connector about 12 inches before plugging into the gateway, but there is also a orange wire that is just hanging out by the blue wire. I was worried that this wire got pulled and broke by accident but I had my neighbor check his panel and he also has the same thing with the blue fiber wire connected to the gateway and the orange wire just tucked away. Does anyone know what this orange wire is for? I called my ISP, but of course the tech guy had no clue what I was talking about.