What's new

Fighting a 1gbps connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

greyclock

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I posted this on the DDWRT forums but didnt get much of a response so I am looking for help here!

I am located in Japan and have a 1gbs connection.

My current speeds with a off the shelf chepo wifi router are as follows:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2728037273.png

I am mainly focused on wired speeds but seeing as most of the routers out there offer wifi I am pigeon holed into posting my help plea on the wifi forum according to the SNB forum rules.

Based on SNB test results for WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN my best options are as follows (NOTE WIRELESS IS NOT A BIG DEAL TO ME BEYOND USING MY IPHONE).

ESR750H - Awful reviews, non of which reference the fact it places in the top levels of SNB's input/output WAN charts? Has a 500mhz dual core cpu and 256mb of ram........ so this should not be a surprise right?

Asus N56u - more then a couple years old but seemingly still fighting it with the rest. More expensive then a faster WAN TO LAN & LAN TO WAN rated router but probably more reliable given the brand.

Based on these two I am leaning towards the ESR750H simply due to SNB's rated speeds. Wifi is used lightly in my household with the wife only browsing the net and my iphone being used on the can. High speed wired connections with high xfer speeds to my work based server are important.

Please advise!

There is no consumer or even small business router that is going to give you 1 Gbps simultaneously up and downlink.

You should be looking at this chart.

Hello,

I posted this on the DDWRT forums but didnt get much of a response so I am looking for help here!

I am located in Japan and have a 1gbs connection.

My current speeds with a off the shelf chepo wifi router are as follows:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2728037273.png

I am mainly focused on wired speeds but seeing as most of the routers out there offer wifi I am pigeon holed into posting my help plea on the wifi forum according to the SNB forum rules.

Based on SNB test results for WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN my best options are as follows (NOTE WIRELESS IS NOT A BIG DEAL TO ME BEYOND USING MY IPHONE).

ESR750H - Awful reviews, non of which reference the fact it places in the top levels of SNB's input/output WAN charts? Has a 500mhz dual core cpu and 256mb of ram........ so this should not be a surprise right?

Asus N56u - more then a couple years old but seemingly still fighting it with the rest. More expensive then a faster WAN TO LAN & LAN TO WAN rated router but probably more reliable given the brand.

Based on these two I am leaning towards the ESR750H simply due to SNB's rated speeds. Wifi is used lightly in my household with the wife only browsing the net and my iphone being used on the can. High speed wired connections with high xfer speeds to my work based server are important.

Please advise!

Are you certain that your ISP provides 1Gbps IP Data service, versus a 1Gbps (GigE) wire speed? Seems unlikely that top priced ISP would/could deliver gigabit speeds.

Of course, WiFi struggles to deliver net yield of 100Mbps, with the best gear and ideal signal strength, and non-trivial range.

There is no consumer or even small business router that is going to give you 1 Gbps simultaneously up and downlink.

You should be looking at this chart.

Thanks for the reply!

I know that no consumer grade router will max out the connection... I am simply trying to replace a cheap junky router with a newer one that is faster. I looked at total simultaneous throughput but assumed the engenious option did so poorly ( for total throughput) because its wifi is terrible.... something that I am not concerned about as our apartment is a very small Japanese style living space with wooden walls.

any feedback on this? I posted in the wifi section since the router is wifi... should I cross post this to the wired section?

Are you certain that your ISP provides 1Gbps IP Data service, versus a 1Gbps (GigE) wire speed? Seems unlikely that top priced ISP would/could deliver gigabit speeds.

Of course, WiFi struggles to deliver net yield of 100Mbps, with the best gear and ideal signal strength, and non-trivial range.

Thanks for the reply!

Here is a link to the service that I have:http://www.ocn.ne.jp/english/hikari/wflets/

I have the Hyabusa plan which is the top tier consumer plan. My neighbor with the same service gets a hair over 260Mbps with the router supplied by the company but I am not a subscriber of their digital TV package so that was not a option for me. Their tech support rep's are pretty straight foward (this being japan) and they said limitations to hitting the highest potential speed are almost always issues of how powerful your router is.

Do not crosspost. I removed the other post.

What is wrong with the suggestion that I made? There are many routers with throughput higher than 300 Mbps.

Routing throughput is measuring wired (Ethernet) connection. Completely separate from wireless.

Routing throughput is measuring wired (Ethernet) connection. Completely separate from wireless.

Did not realize, this, but it answers my question!

Would a good way to get a baseline on my top potential would be to hook the modem directly up to the computer?

I ended up ordering the ASUS N56U and the ASUS N65U... Since I could not figure out which one has better performance as there is no real "review" for the n65u I will keep the one that has better wired performance at the apartment and install the other one on my boat! Thank you!

Last edited:
the N65U was a bit faster for real world WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN so I am going to stick with it. Could have been the time of day but who knows... I tested them about 30minutes apart.