What's new

Files copied to DS213+ from Win7 owned by root

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mroek

New Around Here
Hi,

I have just bought a DS213+, and I decided (possibly foolishly) to use the current public beta of DSM 4.2 (no update from previous version).

My problem is that files copied from my Windows 7 computer to the NAS end up being owned by root on the NAS. This is a problem because it totally screws up the quota (and reports) system on the NAS. I haven't done anything special on the NAS, just installed and set it up with basic options. I'm surprised about this issue, and on my old NAS (Readynas DUO v1), file ownership ends up correctly when copied (same computer).

I also noticed another strange thing: I tried accessing the NAS from my Android phone with ES File Explorer, and files written to the NAS from the phone actually gets the correct ownership.

I have also written about this problem on Synology's community forums, but no answers there, so I'm hoping to have better luck here.

4.2 is still in beta. There's beta users' section of the forum as they do the usual bug-reporting.
No real operational NAS should use beta. And I waited but skipped going from 4.0 to 4.1 and am glad I did.

I'd erase/install 4.0.
4.1 has gripes pending.

Thanks for answering. That's actually what I ended up doing (starting over from scratch), but I went with the 4.1 release, not 4.0.

Luckily, 4.1 does not seem to have the same issue, so I'm happy (for now). Being a programmer myself, I do understand the risks of a beta, but I liked some of the new features in 4.2, so I thought I'd try. I didn't plan on using it for anything serious before having tested it myself, though.

However, downgrading was a real pita. I really don't understand why they've made it so difficult to do that. If a user presses the reset button twice, then why wouldn't Synology just accept that the user wants to start with a clean slate, and is willing to sacrifice any data?

In fact, Synology is so adamant about downgrading, that even if you install an empty drive, the NAS still remembers the previously installed version in some internal flash memory, and will refuse to install an older version.