What's new

Finally, AIMesh update as smooth as Google Mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scottyrick

New Around Here
System:

Main AP: RT-AC3100

Mesh APs (wired): RT-AC1900/RT-AC68R

Clients: 15 wired, 10 wireless

Comment:

Last evening, the phone app update to 45713 firmware took less than 10 minutes and was flawless. No reboots, no problems. This was the first time this has happened for me. Congratulations, Asus! You are now ready to take on Google!

System:

Main AP: RT-AC3100

Mesh APs (wired): RT-AC1900/RT-AC68R

Clients: 15 wired, 10 wireless

Comment:

Last evening, the phone app update to 45713 firmware took less than 10 minutes and was flawless. No reboots, no problems. This was the first time this has happened for me. Congratulations, Asus! You are now ready to take on Google!

Google isn't even in the running, but okay. :)

If the router didn't reboot, you didn't upgrade the firmware. ;)

I've had no trouble with our mesh since setting up the router manually. Its been rock solid stable and streaming 4k video like nobody's business. My MBR Roku is as far away from the mesh router as possible. The signal has to pass through at least 5 walls. It is literally on top of the node in that room though. The result? I can stream over the 2.4 GHz band with no issue to that AC3100 node on 20 MHz bandwidth! The Roku system check reports speed to consistently be ~65 MBps. The 5 GHz band works great also clocking in ~80 MBps.

My other node is also an AC3100 in my family room. Its signal passes through 3 walls and I stream its 4k video over the 5 GHz and exclusive as it has Ethernet connections as well. I got my wife a 1080p HD Roku stick for the LR Vizio and it streams over either band like gangbusters!

I have stress tested the Wi-Fi by streaming video to all three Roku's, downloading the Library of Congress (kidding, just half of it) and running speed tests. Oh I almost forgot. My son also streams over his Xbox and Firestick. And our Mesh not only handles it all but does so with ease.

However, it is vital to reset the router and do a clean setup. Don't ask why just do it! Seriously when you go over to the mesh firmware the routers do not seem to not like it much. Cleaning the nvram and manually setting it up again makes everything hunky dory. Especially if you were having any kind of issues.

Reboots are usually stopgap measures at best. Even if you're not aren't having issues (or so it seems) I bet you'll see a performance boost. I did. Besides the webGUI is so fast now it doesn't take as long as you think. One last thing, Make sure to set up each node as close to the router as possible. I do it about 6 feet away.

If you knew all this already then disregard.

Either way happy meshing!

I agree with you on setting up the mesh system initially and the virtues of fresh setups for routers after updating. I also love the way the mesh works when your done setting it up.

My only issue with AIMesh has been the lack of fast, almost effortless updates. The market really is demanding that.

We shouldn't have to touch the routers when updating. Mesh updates should have been completely controlled by Asus not by "Asus and me". All changed with this last update.

Now, for the very first time after many updates, I no longer need to do anything manually to any router after firmware updating. It just works great. Wow!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I agree with you on setting up the mesh system initially and the virtues of fresh setups for routers after updating. I also love the way the mesh works when your done setting it up.

My only issue with AIMesh has been the lack of fast, almost effortless updates. The market really is demanding that.

We shouldn't have to touch the routers when updating. Mesh updates should have been completely controlled by Asus not by "Asus and me". All changed with this last update.

Now, for the very first time after many updates, I no longer need to do anything manually to any router after firmware updating. It just works great. Wow!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
We have to part ways there. I'll manually update my mesh everytime. I'm too worried about the potential security risk. I don't want anyone in control of my router but for me.

The mesh pushes the new firmware to the nodes during the update so a manual update is easy peasy. I always like to hold off on new firmware anyway in case there are bugs. No auto-update for me thx.

We have to part ways there. I'll manually update my mesh everytime. I'm too worried about the potential security risk. I don't want anyone in control of my router but for me.

The mesh pushes the new firmware to the nodes during the update so a manual update is easy peasy. I always like to hold off on new firmware anyway in case there are bugs. No auto-update for me thx.

Both ways work. Your way gives you great control. Much more than you could ever get with normal mesh systems. A very safe and good way to go.

Effortless, quick updates are for the great majority of folks that are choosing a mesh system for the first time. Asus will need those folks to win in the mesh network arena.

There are not enough of us home network administrators to create a decent-sized market, unfortunately.

Both ways work. Your way gives you great control. Much more than you could ever get with normal mesh systems. A very safe and good way to go.

Effortless, quick updates are for the great majority of folks that are choosing a mesh system for the first time. Asus will need those folks to win in the mesh network arena.

There are not enough of us home network administrators to create a decent-sized market, unfortunately.

Could not agree more. I have friends and family who I support who would never, ever update their firmware and I had to steer them towards other solutions because I feared for their security. I'm converting a couple of older AC-68Ws today for a friend and am thrilled to read that moving forward they'll get patches as ASUS releases them.

If you're a Home Network Admin you're probably on Merlin anyway (or should be) so there wouldn't be autoupdates.