What's new

Finally got merlin FW to work on DSL-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xantier

Occasional Visitor
After spending very long time with the sources, I finally got it to FULLY work with my DSL AC68U, even the DSL connection works now!!!!
8d867a2ae97.png

Am I allowed to share my github for the patches?

Last edited:
Am I allowed to share my github for the patches?

As long you share your source code through Github, you are also allowed to redistribute firmware images. Just make sure to specify that these are non official builds, and therefore not supported by me. Ideally, put something in the version string to indicate so (the extendno string is the proper location for this, it gets appended to the version number).

Also make sure you compile without MERLINUPDATE enabled, otherwise those devices will keep hitting my server looking for new releases.

As long you share your source code through Github, you are also allowed to redistribute firmware images. Just make sure to specify that these are non official builds, and therefore not supported by me. Ideally, put something in the version string to indicate so (the extendno string is the proper location for this, it gets appended to the version number).

Also make sure you compile without MERLINUPDATE enabled, otherwise those devices will keep hitting my server looking for new releases.

Thanks, I will post github after doing some cleanup on the hacks I did for DSL-ac68u.

Default settings don't seem to be defining MERLINUPDATE, am I right?

Also I'm wondering how you were able to compile the whole thing in the beginning, the sources that ASUS release are missing a lot of binaries and .c files. I downloaded many versions of the released source but they don't seem to be completing as a whole. Especially the DSL firmware source is a mess but luckily ASUS put a compiled binary for the DSL firmware so you can just link it with the router sources. But the problem is that router firmware is missing a lot of files.

Default settings don't seem to be defining MERLINUPDATE, am I right?

Correct. I manually set it at build time through an environment variable to prevent third party builds from using it by default.

Also I'm wondering how you were able to compile the whole thing in the beginning, the sources that ASUS release are missing a lot of binaries and .c files.

Back in the 3.0.0.3.90 days, Asuswrt code was much simpler. One out of maybe three GPL release was missing some files, but I was able to get a first build to compile without too much trouble back then.

The oldest GPL archive I still have is GPL_RT_N66U_3004372_1393.zip, and it was 400 MB large. Today, the same model has a GPL size of around 900 MB...

Correct. I manually set it at build time through an environment variable to prevent third party builds from using it by default.

Back in the 3.0.0.3.90 days, Asuswrt code was much simpler. One out of maybe three GPL release was missing some files, but I was able to get a first build to compile without too much trouble back then.

The oldest GPL archive I still have is GPL_RT_N66U_3004372_1393.zip, and it was 400 MB large. Today, the same model has a GPL size of around 900 MB...
I got it, thanks a lot. Isn't it illegal for ASUS to release incomplete sources for a project that uses other projects with GPL licenses?

By the way, the symlink below is also manual. At first I had no idea why I had toolchain errors, then I realized it was due to this. There are also a few auto generated autoconf files around that prevent compilation if the installed autoconf version doesn't match with the ones in the repo.
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/blob/master/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/toolchains

My last question: Is it possible to use parallel compilation? I have 16 thread cpu but make -j16 always fails at some point I can't observe. At single core, it takes 24 minutes to compile the whole project, which slows down testing changes iteratively.

I got it, thanks a lot. Isn't it illegal for ASUS to release incomplete sources for a project that uses other projects with GPL licenses?

They are just honest mistakes, not intentional.

My last question: Is it possible to use parallel compilation?

It already does, however not every components is thread-safe, so multithreaded compile is only enabled for certain components (look for PARALLEL_BUILD in the router/Makefile for examples).

Xantier, can you please upload somewhare compiled *.trx (ready to upload) firmware file that support DSL AC-68u?

I have this router. DSL support is very important for me, so I cant upload rt ac68u merlin firmware :/

Last edited:
Finally, you ere the man Xantier I am was waiting for this to happen for a long time. I know it needs a lot of work to make something like it to work, from all of as that DSL functionality is a must and have the DSL-AC68U a big thanks.
I personally have tree of these devises and I cant wait to test your firmware, also two of my friends that own the same model were very happy when I spread the news.
Please if you can update your post so that we know your progress and when it will be available for download.

Only for info: If you have contact to HGG he wrote it a year ago and updated his this summer on his private share (not for the public).

But sure if @xantier could make his version public for all would be very helpful for many DSL-AC68U users.

Only for info: If you have contact to HGG he wrote it a year ago and updated his this summer on his private share (not for the public).

But sure if @xantier could make his version public for all would be very helpful for many

unfortunately I cant find any posts from @hggomes in this forum that refares to DSL-AC68U or any update during this summer, (if it is possible point me to it please) although I found a conversation between you and buraot in an other forum that is stating with pics that everything works except that he has to reboot every 24hours.
Any help downloading and testing it is much appreciated.

all his postings have been deleted here, thats why you cant find them in this forum, the other you mentioned will be closed so you cant register anymore, but there is a follow up (have a look at the top lines) where you could ask.

But better would be to wait and hope xantier will provide a link here!

Xantier. Go on buddy. Many of us waiting for you. I just need it for selective VPN routing. Can't believe Asus did not put that as standard on their version.

Unfortunately none seems to has something for us our friend xantier has to log in to this forum seance the 15th of September, not even for an update of his progress (I hope that everything is ok with him).
and hggomes does not replay to any messages requesting a link of his version for the DSL-AC68U.
I just cant understand why did he remove the link at firs place.
i am starting to lose hope.

The HGG Firmware I have already got. But I have not installed it as I have read it is buggy and after a day, the router disconnects from the internet (or something like that). See what you think of it and let me know if you install it. However, I really want to try out Xantier's Merlin Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
The policy of this Forum is we don't allow links, discussion or code posting that enables modification of products so that they can violate regulatory standards. Hugo's firmware falls into this category.

Last edited:
fortunately i was monitoring the discussion and i was able to download HGG Firmware before they removed the link, i will give it a try.
I would like an explanation on how something like a link to an open source firmware enables violation of regulatory standards and what are those regulatory standards. because as it seems to me I haven't comprehend properly the forum's terms and rules.

there are other places in the net to talk about, dont ask for reasons, that are simply the rules in this forum (members need support by Asus in some kinds and they dont want to see it discussed here) ...

Last edited:
I agree with you Zendilar. And I don't see what is wrong with asking these questions. What I do know is that I feel suffocated here and this would be my last post and last time I use this forum. It is not welcoming and I feel hostility.

Status
Not open for further replies.