What's new

Fire Tablet and 384.5 FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Azguz

Occasional Visitor
I've been having this issue with my fire tablet for the kid and my wife's tablet which is the same model since upgrading to 384.5 from 380.x - whatever the latest release is/was. I have no issues with any other devices on the network, even all of my smart outlets,bulbs, led controllers run fine on 2.4, just these damn tablets.

I was able to connect to other AP's in the area, just not my 3200. even with an open guest network....

I've loaded the fw update, then restarted, then factory reset, restarted, set up my IP tables and settings again (god that was painful) for all my 45~ devices.

I then have changed back some of the professional wifi settings in a variable form, one by one, reboot... blah blah....and this thing still gives me this generic Wifi connection failure message. Ive been trying to use google to find some answers - im decent at that for work - and i obviously have become frustrated (not like you would know me, but i've been working on this for a while now and i have a long fuse but bad temper). Long story short im about to kick my router through the wall and snap this tablet in two.

Whats really grinding my gears as peter once suggested, is the tablets connects sometimes if i change the broadcasting channel setting or frquency from 20 to 40. never connection 20/40. and these fire tablets are straight garbage too, as you may already know. its the HD7 version that has the amazon free time kid app for my 4 yr old. I didn;t have this issue before... and i doubt i can go back.

once i bounce the wifi, tablet goes to sleep or turns off - no more network connection. its driving me bonkers, anyone have any suggestions?

I've been having this issue with my fire tablet for the kid and my wife's tablet which is the same model since upgrading to 384.5 from 380.x - whatever the latest release is/was. I have no issues with any other devices on the network, even all of my smart outlets,bulbs, led controllers run fine on 2.4, just these damn tablets.

I was able to connect to other AP's in the area, just not my 3200. even with an open guest network....

I've loaded the fw update, then restarted, then factory reset, restarted, set up my IP tables and settings again (god that was painful) for all my 45~ devices.

I then have changed back some of the professional wifi settings in a variable form, one by one, reboot... blah blah....and this thing still gives me this generic Wifi connection failure message. Ive been trying to use google to find some answers - im decent at that for work - and i obviously have become frustrated (not like you would know me, but i've been working on this for a while now and i have a long fuse but bad temper). Long story short im about to kick my router through the wall and snap this tablet in two.

Whats really grinding my gears as peter once suggested, is the tablets connects sometimes if i change the broadcasting channel setting or frquency from 20 to 40. never connection 20/40. and these fire tablets are straight garbage too, as you may already know. its the HD7 version that has the amazon free time kid app for my 4 yr old. I didn;t have this issue before... and i doubt i can go back.

once i bounce the wifi, tablet goes to sleep or turns off - no more network connection. its driving me bonkers, anyone have any suggestions?
Have no idea why you are having that issue. As for upgrading from the 380 to the 384 branch that is not for the feint of heart. I'm sure that you probably did follow the appropriate steps but just in case this link tells you what should be done when upgrading to the 384 branch.

Hope you get your issue sorted in short order!

Just in case, here is the full link.
https://x3mtek.com/asuswrt-merlin-firmware-upgrade/

Make sure protected management frames is off, and try changing security from wpa2 to off to see if it connects, make sure air time fairness is off and MU-MIMO.

I had a similar problem with my Chromecast device when I moved to 384.5 version - it simply stopped connecting. My (intermediate) solution was to unhide my 5G WLAN, which allowed the Chromecast to connect again.

But I decided to move back to 380.70 version to avoid showing my WLANs and also to be able to tweak other things better in the old version.

By the way: I did NOT do a factory reset and manual re-config when switching firmware versions - maybe this could be the root cause (also in your case)... :rolleyes:

Make sure protected management frames is off, and try changing security from wpa2 to off to see if it connects, make sure air time fairness is off and MU-MIMO.
Another large issue today in work, so i'll try this after the change im working on is verified.... Comes with the life i guess.

WPA2 shouldn't affect it, i tried on the guest network w/ no ket and it failed. i will try the others and post back. also i don't think mu-mimo was implemented in the 84 release, or at least i don't remember seeing the setting anywhere....

@joegreat - this thing doesn't even support dual band, its only 2.4 (its the first gen, new ones do i saw)
You were able to switch back? i'd hate to have to set it back up again, since its a ton of bulbs, switches and crappy tabbys but i did take a back up of the old settings so... i might do that tonight. btw i did reset back to factory but i did it after the upgrade. of course i can't find the steps i was looking at but it was not the link @DaveMishSr provided so i dunno... i haven't slept in over 2 days.

Kids and work.

PS working at a large FI sucks.

short story i bounced the router back to factory, tried to downgrade (couldn't) and found a settings backup from may 5th that showed all my wireless settings (last known working config on .380) I still have the issue with both of my fire tablets.

It may be the B/G protection when clicking N only. My previous settings below were using N only for 2.4 and the check box was off. this new firmware doesn't allow that toggle when running N or Auto, just legacy. Overall had everything configured the same way as these back ups, and tried also to remove the airtime fairness toggled. tired both - neither worked, rest everything back to the settings attached cause they did work at one point....

Confirmed all other devices are working correctly with no issues - just this POS. - im open to any other suggestions, i may buy another one.

Attachments

• 2.4.JPG
    2.4.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 545
  • 2.4 pro.JPG
    2.4 pro.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 472
  • 2.4pro2.JPG
    2.4pro2.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 497
when dealing with 2.4GHz devices - keep it simple - N-Only is not simple, TurboQAM is not simple...

Ya especially with these cheap tablets..

Its working for now. i've restarted the router and tablet. Left the wireless mode on Auto and disabled 256-QAM... ill let the device sit overnight and check back with it. i left some other settings on, AMPDU RTS, WMM ASPD and airtime fairness - fernow.

I hope to post back tomorrow with a thank you. also im not one of those techs who will ask "why did it work before", i don't care. its a new code base, theres going to be changes and bugs/defects. im just glad i found my old settings as a base for what i have now cause i didnt save them on my servers nas, they were on my work lappy.

It has stopped again.... No reason, didn't touch anything. Just stopped working.

Im out of ideas...

now my epson printer will not connect and one of my TP LINK light bulbs doesn't like it either.... Im beyond puzzled and frustrated. Range is an issue as well, i cannot even get out side my house whereas before i could get down the street. There is no way to revert either, hu?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!