What's new

Firewall problem on 378.56_2?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BugsXor

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

This is really a twofold question.
1) Has something changed with the firewall rules from 378.56_2 when doing NATTING from WAN?
2) How do I see the firewall rules?

a bit more details:
It starts with the traditional sentence: "Everything was working fine, I didn't change anything... then something broke!"
Basically... I used to be able to SSH back home from the internet -> a Mikrotik router -> ASUS AC87U -> My server
Then suddenly, it stopped working...
After troubleshooting I noticed that if I have the ASUS AC87U firewall "On" it doesn't work.
If I turn it off... it works!
But I would prefer to keep it it on... even if my ASUS is on my internal network.
I have the following settings when turned "ON":
Enable Firewall -> On
Enable DOS protection -> Off
Logged packet -> Both
Respond ping from WAN -> Yes
NAT Loopback -> Merlin

My Asus is in Wireless Router Mode
For the WAN internet connection config I disabled NAT
(I need the NAT disabled to see traffic IP source on my IDS... I used a passive tap to Tee the traffic.).

When it doesn't work (with firewall on the ASUS ON) I don't see any logged traffic (i.e.: drop)

How could I troubleshoot the issue? and find out what rules on the ASUS firewall drops my Natted traffic from outside -> mikrotik -> Asus -> server ?
I don't seem to see any rules on the ASUS GUI.

Thanks for your help.
B.

Hi,

This is really a twofold question.
1) Has something changed with the firewall rules from 378.56_2 when doing NATTING from WAN?
2) How do I see the firewall rules?

A.1 Maybe?
A2.

Code:
iptables   -L  -xvn   --line
iptables   -L  -xnv   --line   -t   mangle
iptables   -L  -xvn   --line   -t   nat

A.1 Maybe?
A2.

Code:
iptables   -L  -xvn   --line
iptables   -L  -xnv   --line   -t   mangle
iptables   -L  -xvn   --line   -t   nat

Thanks for that! very useful :)
I couldn't see anything wrong with the output... I am fairly sure something has changed in the last few Merlin Firmware with NAT.
Will have to experiment a bit more!