What's new

firewall-start script VS web UI port forwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joel Teixeira

Occasional Visitor
Hey there,

I'm a little confused regarding port forwarding on my ASUS AC3200. I disabled uPnP since it seems to be related with some security concerns and mapped all ports manually. My main doubt is, do I need to use the firewall-start script if the rule is already on the "WAN - Virtual Server / Port Forwarding"?

If I create, for instance, a rule like:

UizXlXI.png

Do I still need to open the ports on firewall-start with:

mZO7r2X.png

Or/And I should redirect using the firewall-star as well (not sure the syntax below is correct):

UbDKpKy.png

Is there any preferred method? When I create a redirect on Web UI it automatically open/forwards the port without needing to tweak with the script? Or the script is prefered and I shoud forget about the web UI when it comes to port forwaring?

Thanks a lot!

Or/And I should redirect using the firewall-star as well (not sure the syntax below is correct):

UbDKpKy.png

Or the script is prefered and I shoud forget about the web UI when it comes to port forwaring?

FYI To exploit the Port Forwarding tables implemented by Asus, the rules are in the following format:
Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -d $(nvram get wan_ipaddr) -j VSERVER
iptables -t nat -I VSERVER -p udp -m udp --dport nnnnn -j DNAT --to-destination xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:ppppp

Using a custom Port Forwarding script is useful in the following scenarios:

1. You exceed the Port forwarding rule limit in the GUI! :eek:

2. You wish to dynamically allow the Fort Forwarding only for a specific (limited) time period (using cron) or based on some other criteria/event such as port knocking etc.

FYI To exploit the Port Forwarding tables implemented by Asus, the rules are in the following format:
Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -d $(nvram get wan_ipaddr) -j VSERVER
iptables -t nat -I VSERVER -p udp -m udp --dport nnnnn -j DNAT --to-destination xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:ppppp

Using a custom Port Forwarding script is useful in the following scenarios:

1. You exceed the Port forwarding rule limit in the GUI! :eek:

2. You wish to dynamically allow the Fort Forwarding only for a specific (limited) time period (using cron) or based on some other criteria/event such as port knocking etc.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. Since I don't have so many rules to apply I'll just remove the firewall-start file completely.