What's new

Firewall

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bncbnc83

New Around Here
Hello

Is there a way to make a local to local lan firewall ?

So i can block a certain port to a ip on the local network ?

I tryed iptabled drop but it dont work

No. LAN traffic is switched, not routed, so the kernel has no control over it.

The router is directing traffic between different Networks. The Switch is controlling traffic between nodes on the same Network (LAN). You could separate the node from the Network, though, I'm not sure which "functions" AsusWRT-Merlin supports for this. If that's not possible with Merlin fw, look at DDWRT.

I have been playing around with configuring vlans to get the same effect (and a lot more). I don't have anything final (it requires a complete replanning of my existing network), but by creating multiple vlans it seems possible to have the firewall controlling access between the different vlans. It also seems possible to have the hardware doing the routing & firewalling between the vlans, provided that the firewall rules are not too complex. The rules for routing between vlans would normally be less complex than the rules for routing between wan and lan and thus possible to do in HW.

Switching to DD-WRT would remove the hardware support for routing.

Well, finally was anybody able to achieve the task of firewalling LAN traffic? Via VLAN tags or other way? Placing PCs into different subnets?
Is this achievable with Merlin? How it is achievable outside Merlin?