What's new

Firmware downgrade and automatic update.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

in2ndo

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone,

New to the forum, to ASUS and no expert but I can follow directions. I have a few questions.
Thinking in downgrading the firmware to 3.0.0.4.386.42095. after seen all the drops and reauthorizations on the routers log. and reading posts on this forum about it.
1. If I downgrade. wouldn't the router upgrade itself to the latest firmware? I can't find an off setting for the autoupdate feature. and by what I've read so far. I guess they don't have one.
2. Do I have to use the utility for down or upgrading the firmware? or can I just download the file and upload it to the router using the web interface?
3. What would be best practice. when changing the firmware. upgrading or downgrading. reset to factory, downgrade/upgrade or downgrade/upgrade, reset to factory or reset to factory, downgrade/upgrade, reset to factory ?
And last. If I don't have to use the utility. the process could be done with either a Windows or Mac machine correct? my personal system is a Mac. so it would be the preferred method.

Thank you

Hello,

What Asus router model?

1. Possibly. Newer Asuswrt versions have auto update on/off toggle. If you downgrade to firmware without it, it may auto upgrade.
2. No. Flash in GUI, reboot and test. If something feels off, reset to factory defaults and setup the router manually.
3. Asuswrt tolerates few firmware releases back and forth with no need to reset. See 2 above. I would start fresh with reset.

You need a web browser to access GUI. Windows, Mac, Android, Linux - all should be fine running popular web browsers.

Hello everyone,

New to the forum, to ASUS and no expert but I can follow directions. I have a few questions.
Thinking in downgrading the firmware to 3.0.0.4.386.42095. after seen all the drops and reauthorizations on the routers log. and reading posts on this forum about it.
1. If I downgrade. wouldn't the router upgrade itself to the latest firmware? I can't find an off setting for the autoupdate feature. and by what I've read so far. I guess they don't have one.
2. Do I have to use the utility for down or upgrading the firmware? or can I just download the file and upload it to the router using the web interface?
3. What would be best practice. when changing the firmware. upgrading or downgrading. reset to factory, downgrade/upgrade or downgrade/upgrade, reset to factory or reset to factory, downgrade/upgrade, reset to factory ?
And last. If I don't have to use the utility. the process could be done with either a Windows or Mac machine correct? my personal system is a Mac. so it would be the preferred method.

Thank you
Normally you don't downgrade firmware unless you are experiencing working problems with the firmware. You don't necessarily have the same setup as other users so you can't just go by what others are experiencing and you can't always go by the router logs since the router log can post all types of detailed information that may be normal even if it doesn't appear so at first.

Post which router you are using so that forum members can know clearly which router model you are talking about.

Last edited:
And, more importantly, do a full reset to factory defaults on the firmware you're using now (first) to test if the issues are resolved, before you settle for older, less secure, and less current standards compliant firmware.

Hello,

What Asus router model?

1. Possibly. Newer Asuswrt versions have auto update on/off toggle. If you downgrade to firmware without it, it may auto upgrade.
2. No. Flash in GUI, reboot and test. If something feels off, reset to factory defaults and setup the router manually.
3. Asuswrt tolerates few firmware releases back and forth with no need to reset. See 2 above. I would start fresh with reset.

You need a web browser to access GUI. Windows, Mac, Android, Linux - all should be fine running popular web browsers.
LOL… I’m getting old. XT8 AX6600

Umm, based on user feedback, the reset button for this model is sold separately in Home Depot, home renovation section, sledge hammer 10lbs.

I’m new to mesh systems. Maybe if I post the log. Someone can see if normal. To me it seems like it disconnects and reconnects unnecessarily back and forward continuously.
or maybe I’m just been paranoid and I’m getting ahead of myself.
my return or exchange window is only 14 days. So I’m trying to make sure all is well.
my last router. I had for like over 10 years. So I haven’t played with this in a while.
and if I do post the log. Is that safe? Or would I be exposing info that I shouldn’t be?

Thank you. And excuse the ignorance.

Folks around are happier with AX86U routers. They have "horns" and may not look as stylish as TX8, but perhaps work much better.

I’m new to mesh systems. Maybe if I post the log. Someone can see if normal. To me it seems like it disconnects and reconnects unnecessarily back and forward continuously.
or maybe I’m just been paranoid and I’m getting ahead of myself.
my return or exchange window is only 14 days. So I’m trying to make sure all is well.
my last router. I had for like over 10 years. So I haven’t played with this in a while.
and if I do post the log. Is that safe? Or would I be exposing info that I shouldn’t be?

Thank you. And excuse the ignorance.
If you are worried about stuff in the log don't look at the log. If you are really having issues then dig deeper. As for going back a version, don't. Most firmware upgrades contain security fixes that you really want. Newer firmware versions have the ability to auto upgrade which, for most non-geeks, is a good thing.

Your connects and disconnects may be related to WIFI settings. Use fixed channel and bandwidth for all WIFI bands. Avoid DFS channels if possible. Turn off WPS if you do not need it.

I guess I'll just won't look at it... LOL . had a bad experience with a Netgear that I had for a couple of weeks and that left me paranoid. specially after trying to deal with the support department.. or absence of.
This Asus is actually a huge upgrade from that Netgear that I returned. and so far it hasn't giving me any issues. my speed plan is 400Mbps and I'm getting 250 to 480. most of the time is in the 420's from the router and the node. some times my OCD won't leave alone... LOL..

Thank you all .